; Overlanding... - Page 2 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Camping, Hiking and RV's

Old 10-23-2017, 11:27 PM

I am into overlanding. I just went to overland expo in Ashville i'd highly recommend it if you are into overlanding at all. The gear, the people, and the area make it a worthwhile drive..

Also a bunch of great you tube folks to see how its done. Check out expedition overland and watch some of their journeys. I can't believe it hasn't caught on more here yet either. I think it will eventually.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Dodge Power Wagon. Biggest winch you can fit. Camper shell.
2 or 3 spare tires. High lift jack. Done.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 AM

Spend a little time reading through this thread, then go up to the parent forum "Expedition Vehicles"
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...n-overlanding!

On a recent camping trip a family dropped into the site next to us in a 1980's diesel, right hand drive Toyota Land Cruiser with a Maggolina roof top tent and a handful of hammocks for the teens. They were just stopping for the night on the way to the next adventure. We still use the old Ford van and our cargo trailer conversion, but our full sized Montero might get put into service with the kids out of the house...?

Vans? this guy has 4WD conversions figured out right. Near Asheville, NC
http://ujointoffroad.com/

Last edited by normaldave; 10-25-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added Ujoint link (ha)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:32 AM

Overlanding is what I enjoy about off-roading as well. I have a mildly modified Jeep (03 TJ with 4" lift and front locker). So far (knock on wood) I haven't been able to get into anything that I couldn't get out of in N. Ga mountains. I like to get out and explore and just see where little narrow roads that nobody goes down go.

Before we moved to Georgia, my wife and I drove the Jeep from Iowa to Colorado (~12 hours one way) for a friend's wedding. We took the Jeep so we could check out some trails while we were there. The Jeep was good for just the two of us, but I don't know how well it would have done if we had been packing camping gear and food for several days on the trail along with replacement parts and tools that you would want to have available if you were going that far 'off the grid'.

We had a Grand Wagoneer that I sold for WAY too cheap because I couldn't get it to pass emissions without a lot of work and it had the dreaded frame rot that I was not prepared to deal with. That thing would have been good for long-range off road trips. It rode like a couch on the highway, had enough capacity to haul whatever you could fit in it, and with only slight mods, it could have been a great trail vehicle. I just didn't have time (or money) to work on it at the time.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones View Post
Overlanding is what I enjoy about off-roading as well. I have a mildly modified Jeep (03 TJ with 4" lift and front locker). So far (knock on wood) I haven't been able to get into anything that I couldn't get out of in N. Ga mountains. I like to get out and explore and just see where little narrow roads that nobody goes down go.

Before we moved to Georgia, my wife and I drove the Jeep from Iowa to Colorado (~12 hours one way) for a friend's wedding. We took the Jeep so we could check out some trails while we were there. The Jeep was good for just the two of us, but I don't know how well it would have done if we had been packing camping gear and food for several days on the trail along with replacement parts and tools that you would want to have available if you were going that far 'off the grid'.

We had a Grand Wagoneer that I sold for WAY too cheap because I couldn't get it to pass emissions without a lot of work and it had the dreaded frame rot that I was not prepared to deal with. That thing would have been good for long-range off road trips. It rode like a couch on the highway, had enough capacity to haul whatever you could fit in it, and with only slight mods, it could have been a great trail vehicle. I just didn't have time (or money) to work on it at the time.
The first thing I am doing with the jeep is overhauling the suspension and getting 2 1/2" lift. I will not go with tires over 35". I rode in a jeep on the highway with the same lift and tires I plan on getting and it was surprisingly comfortable. I got it up to some good speeds to 75 mph+. With the Fox shocks and really heavy duty springs it should be alright with the weight I plan to have...if not I will put in airbags to help.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:20 PM

I have Lexus GX470 so I've looked around in the overlanding stuff from time to time. I haven't made any modifications to mine but they are a great base vehicle to start with. They are starting to get more popular but have kind of flown under the radar as far as a capable 4x4. It's like a V8 4x4 4Runner with more headroom. I hunt all over the state out of mine.

Most of them have been driven by soccer moms with scheduled maintenance at the dealership. I bought mine with 80k on the clock but wouldn't flinch at buying one with 150k with a good carfax, service history, and timing belt replaced. I would stay away from the navigation equipped vehicles (most) though. Some of the HVAC controls are through the screen which could be an issue down the road. Navigation also makes it prohibitively complicated/expensive to change the radio headunit for bluetooth, iphone, etc connectivity.

3 inch lift, larger tires, ditch the running boards for sliders, and you're ready to go for pretty cheap. More companies have also started manufacturing bumpers and swingouts for them as well.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:09 PM

What about a regular cab longbed 4x4 Silverado if it's just 2 people? Do a camper top and take the back window out and seal it up with an accordion seal. Small lift and 33 inch tires with front locker and add a winch. If you have a camper top with the roof you can raise, you can easily stand up back there and do a sliding storage box under the bed. Truck will get 17-19 mpg on the highway and with a 34 gallon fuel tank is a much better long range option. Parts are super plentiful for the 5.3 and fairly cheap vs land rover or older Toyota Land Cruiser.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbzdually View Post
What about a regular cab longbed 4x4 Silverado if it's just 2 people? Do a camper top and take the back window out and seal it up with an accordion seal. Small lift and 33 inch tires with front locker and add a winch. If you have a camper top with the roof you can raise, you can easily stand up back there and do a sliding storage box under the bed. Truck will get 17-19 mpg on the highway and with a 34 gallon fuel tank is a much better long range option. Parts are super plentiful for the 5.3 and fairly cheap vs land rover or older Toyota Land Cruiser.
They are making some interesting camper options for pickups now. I am waiting for a long bet AT Off Road vehicle habitat for long beds. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 full cab long bed truck. After I trick out my jeep I will probably get air lockers, both front and back for it, then start building on it too.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck_billcollector View Post
The first thing I am doing with the jeep is overhauling the suspension and getting 2 1/2" lift. I will not go with tires over 35". I rode in a jeep on the highway with the same lift and tires I plan on getting and it was surprisingly comfortable. I got it up to some good speeds to 75 mph+. With the Fox shocks and really heavy duty springs it should be alright with the weight I plan to have...if not I will put in airbags to help.
Jeeps can do highway speeds if lifted correctly and worn parts replaced. With my 4" lift and 33" aggressive AT tires, I set the cruise at 80 and cruise. It can't hold that speed up hills with the 3.73 gears, but it's not too bad.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Didn't read all the posts, but, I have been seeing some modified 4x4 vans that are awesome. Like the tiny house of RVs. Some folks told me they they traveled out west and picked theirs up. But that there is some folks in Asheville, B.C. that customizes them.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Well, I took delivery of my 2018 JKUR (four door Rubicon) a couple of weeks ago and have started the build. The first thing I did was replace my battery with a Genesis Off Road Dual Battery system with a 200 amp isolator. This is a great set-up that runs all your electronics, winch, etc.. off of a separated deep cycle battery and isolates your cranking battery. The next thing I did was mount ARB differential breather tube lifts to bring my differential breathers and the breathers from my transfer case and transmission right under the hood in the engine compartment so I won't get mud or water in my axles and transmission if I happen to have to cross water. I then put on a 2 1/2 inch Old Man Emu lift and replaced my shocks with Fox 2.0 shocks. This lift is made in Australia for over land vehicles, they are made to handle the weight...it really is a beefy suspension and it handles great at highway speeds of 80mph whether loaded down or not. I have replaced both front and rear bumpers with Smittybilt bumpers and for the rear got a heavy duty swing out spare tire mount with storage spaces for jerry cans, hi-lift jack and other sundry items with a 200lb capacity basket above the tire. I mounted a Warn 10K zion winch with synthetic line on the front bumper. I then mounted an AEV Snorkel more for a cool air intake than anything, but it will keep me from getting hydro-locked if I do cross streams that might be a wee bit deep. I also have a portable ARB double compressor with a 3 gallon tank for my air needs...it is amazing, I can pump my 80lb tires on my Ram 2500 faster than I can at an tire shop. I have ordered a bunch of power outlets for both front and back along with a 1500 true sine inverter that I hope to have next week to start setting up my "power grid" throughout the truck. My next items will be a storage system for the back and a 50qt fridge/freezer on a slide out. I am experimenting with some RTTs I have access to, but I am in the process of talking with Ursa Minor about a J30 replacement top for my wrangler. I took the Jeep out today to see how the lockers work and the disconnect sway bar works, the Rubicon is a beast in both the mud and sand along with climbing over obstacles. You might notice I have not said anything about tires...which is generally one of the first things people do when they get a Wrangler...I am waiting to see how these tires and the lift handle all the weight before I pull the trigger on new shoes for my jeep. I will try to take some pictures this weekend.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones View Post
Jeeps can do highway speeds if lifted correctly and worn parts replaced. With my 4" lift and 33" aggressive AT tires, I set the cruise at 80 and cruise. It can't hold that speed up hills with the 3.73 gears, but it's not too bad.
Mine is a Rubicon with 4:10 gears and a manual 6 speed so on the highway 80 mph is no problem. I only went with a 2 1/2 inch lift, but it is a beefy one. I got the Fox 2.0 shocks that give a great ride.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:07 AM

Here is a blog of a guy that I met who has one. Lived in it while hunting across the country.

https://scottandwatson.wordpress.com