anybody removed particulate exhaust filter from 06 Dodge diesel truck?

Has anyone removed the particulate exhaust filter from 06 Dodge diesel truck ? It is on the exhaust pipe before the muffler .Appears to me to have no wire connections to engine or computer . s I believe that it should run better and more mpg but I want no problems esp with longterm Cummins warranty. Will truck be louder? I know the 07 and later have lines/sensors connected to it and will cause problesm if removed .RSVP if you have done this or email me at jcbinion@charter.net . Thanks for any advise.

Broncoxlt

I thought that the DPFs where put on starting in 07 But they are part of the gov mandated emmisons controls and coneted to the trucks computer dont have a truck with one but removing it would probably send the truck into limp mode. Think it would also void whats left of the factory warrenty

Last edited:

deerehauler

I am not sure about the dodge but on a 05 ford f350 it does not set any codes and the egt is a little cooler. It does create a little more turbo whistle. also it is louder all around. If you take it off without damaging it you can reinstall it to take it back in for warranty work if needed. Not installed non mod friendly shops will not cover warranty.

HGM

Bronco is right. This is a new system for light trucks starting in '08 model year. (didnt have it on your '05)

There may not be any wires to it, but the PCM is monitoring exhaust pressure in order to determine if it needs to burn the soot out of the particulate filter. If you remove it, you will set a code and effect your warranty.. Just leave it alone and learn what the truck requires for regeneration and how to minimize it. Removing the particulate filter would be a federal offence if you were to get caught.

badger

I'm not sure I'd be asking those questions on a public forum. Removing federally mandated emissions equipment on any vehicle is a no-no punishable by hefty fines and/or jail time.

HGM

I'm not sure I'd be asking those questions on a public forum. Removing federally mandated emissions equipment on any vehicle is a no-no punishable by hefty fines and/or jail time.

I dont dissagree with you at all. But, you'd be surprised what you can find online.. Plus, if its advertised for "off road use only", they can sell programers and emission elliminator components. I'm not really a fan of that kind of stuff, so, I'll just leave it at that..

badger

I dont dissagree with you at all. But, you'd be surprised what you can find online.. Plus, if its advertised for "off road use only", they can sell programers and emission elliminator components. I'm not really a fan of that kind of stuff, so, I'll just leave it at that..

True,

you can also find instructions for making bombs and booby traps online. Doesn't mean you should do it........:)

Broncoxlt

I am not sure about the dodge but on a 05 ford f350 it does not set any codes and the egt is a little cooler. It does create a little more turbo whistle. also it is louder all around. If you take it off without damaging it you can reinstall it to take it back in for warranty work if needed. Not installed non mod friendly shops will not cover warranty.

I think that your talkin bout the catalitic converter not a DPF

HGM

I think that your talkin bout the catalitic converter not a DPF

You know, re-reading the original poster, he's talking about the cat. Its an '06 truck.. They didnt put particulate filters on anything pre-'08. Deerehauler is actually the only one with the correct info for the '06 truck. Sorry for the confusion on my end, I was refering to '08.

deerehauler

It is called a Cat on the earlier models but it does the same thing minus the regenerating. If you do remove it just remember it is for off road use only and if you do get pulled over and check they are right it is a big fine.

HGM

Got to dissagree a bit. The catalytic converter does nothing for particulates. It is strictly for HC, CO, and NOx reduction (primarily NOx). '08s also have a cat, before the DPF. The DPF is designed to be a soot trap. The regen, burns the soot to reduce the restriction. Its part of the '08 emissions package that our government mandates. Its also part of the reason that all '08 diesels get worse fuel economy than the previous year. Driving habits play a HUGE roll in the fuel economy for these trucks in particular. We have a whole new set of reg's comming for '10.

deerehauler

I agree with you but I will also say that the cat cuts back the soot output also cause whe I did a test with mine at the track there was a huge difference of what came out the exhaust when it came to black smoke. But yes it is not a DPF.

Looks like most discussions on this is about the Dodge trucks after 2006 (07-08 models ) that have sensor wires and even a fuel drip line I am told to burn our the soot . The 06 model only has the particulate filter ( not a cat converter) with no attachments going to it . I was told it only filters the soot thru a honeycomb like system .Will removal truly cause an exhaust pressure problem and cause check engine lite problems ? thanks for responses.

Full Pull

The 06 does not have a DPF its a cat and yes you can remve it with a stright pipe or go to genos grage.com and get a cat delight it will only make a small diffrence in power more nois than anything elence but a good noise.

BRANCHWYNN

the particulate filter should not make any difference in your fuel mileage. big risk to take in taking it off...dealer finds it and your warranty is history. even if it got 2 more miles to the gallon, just not worth the risk...the 6.7 has a heep more hp's and that is the difference in your fuel mileage. It is alot quieter than the 5.9. The only problem you should have with THE PARTICULATE WOULD be lettin the truck idle and build up carbon......nothing that 70 mph for 35 miles wont cure.....but if your having to do this.......then you are lettin gthe truck idle too long......which would mean youre getting 0 miles to the gallon when doing this.....leave it factory....youll be glad you did. good luck

HGM

If it had a DPF, you'd have a ton more to worry about than just performance, if it were removed. It has much more to do with fuel economy than HP does.

Full Pull

The question was he thought he had a DPF on his 06
They only put the Dpf on the 6.7 .
In 06 they still were using the 5.9 and in early 07 modeld so YOU DO NOT HAVE A DPF.

Last edited:

BRANCHWYNN

O6 5.9...with No Particulte Filter

The question was he thought he had a DPF on his 06
They only put the Dpf on the 6.7 in 06 they still were using the 5.9 and in early 07 modeld so YOU DO NOT HAVE A DPF.

ALL 6.7 HAVE PARTICULATE FILTERS. THERE WERE NO 6.7 IN 06. STARTED MID O7 MODEL. 5.9 AND 6.7 WERE AVAILABLE IN 07. 6.7 ONLY IN 08.

Still seems to confusion on the o6 Dodge having a particulate filter on the 5.8 exhaust. The dealership service guy called it a PF and it looks like a bulge in the exhaust pipe prior to the muffler but it has no wires or fuel drip line like the newer 6.7 Dodge with Cummins have . I know remove will mess up the computer/send codes etc but I believe removal of it the 5.9 on 06 model will not be affected. Correct?

Gaducker

Its ok Jeff, It is a CC not a DPF, truck will run fine, the part will need to go back on if you have an engine issue before the 100k warranty runs out. You will not light up the mil because of this mod. Chris @ wolfmans