Can a felon hunt with a crossbow

The Rodney

I would suspect so but you better call the DNR direct. I would find out if this is a probabtion violation as well... the crossbow that is.\

biker13

Yes but what about if your friend has a firearm? hmmm

GunnSmokeer

good answer

Crossbows and regular archery equipment are not "firearms" under federal law or Georgia law.
So it's not a violation of those laws for a felon to possess them or use them for hunting.

But, if you're still on PAROLE or PROBATION, or even out on BAIL or BOND on a serious charge, it might be a violation of the conditions of those things to possess any weapon. And I would say YES, a crossbow is a "weapon" even if you only intend to use it as sports equipment.

P.S. nobody cares if felons use non-firearms for hunting with friends and the friends have firearms. That's not illegal. I doubt its a condition of probation or parole either-- "don't associate with people who possess guns."

Last edited:

crucible02

As far as I know, it is legal. I had a close friend that was convicted of a felony and his jail sentence was delayed through Christmas. He was allowed to hunt with a crossbow.

bobby07

They won't let me bring it in the bank with me, but they'll let me climb a tree with it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Do you really want to take legal advice from strangers on an internet forum ???

If someone is a felon he/she knows to how to contact their probation officer with this question.

gdaagent

Yup. I have a friend that hunts with a bow. He said he was told by probation officer that as long as it wasn't a firearm (gun) he was good.

But he was also told that he needed to be careful who he was with. If he was in vehicle with someone with firearm, they(law enforcement) could make it hard on him if they so desire. Not saying anything could be done. They may try to prove he was in possesion of it.

Do you really want to take legal advice from strangers on an internet forum ???

If someone is a felon he/she knows to how to contact their probation officer with this question.

Indeed.

BowHard

Banned
Btter not be caught with it in your vehicle. You know the police can say or do "whatever" the want. Just be careful.

fishtail

See page 17 of the current regulations.
"Convicted felons may not possess any firearm (including primitive weapons) while hunting unless the individual's right to carry has been restored. This does not apply to archery equipment."

aaron82

I am a state probation officer Special conditions in some circuits use to say you can not be in possession of a fire arm. But Special conditions now states you can not be in possession of a dangerous weapon if the person that has a felony conviction is on probation/parole they should talk with his/her PO for authorization. Even though the state regs say felon can hunt with archery I would ask the PO just to make sure.

Last edited: