Wind

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This is not a smart aleck statement, I'm serious. Go outside, and see which way the wind is blowing instead of trying to find it on an app. I trust my own observations. The app isn't going to take local factors into consideration that can affect wind direction.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
This is not a smart aleck statement, I'm serious. Go outside, and see which way the wind is blowing instead of trying to find it on an app. I trust my own observations. The app isn't going to take local factors into consideration that can affect wind direction.

^^This^^... I checked the wind multiple times Saturday before I even attempted to go hunt an area where I shot a buck. And when I got half way there, I checked it again..

hoythunter1861

App will help before hitting the woods, especially on entrance. And will show direction of the prevailing wind since there is as much swirling here as there is. HuntStand does a pretty good job IMO

swampstalker24

Make sure to check the hourly forcast not just the general forcast... Its usually pretty accurate for me... And keep in mind thermals and the wind will usually shift right as the sun comes up and goes down if there is not a dominate wind pattern

watermedic

Best thing is to log the actual wind direction in relation to what the weather app has. Topography effects the wind closer to the ground.

D

Deleted member 35556

SL hunting. It'll give you a scent cone for the predominant wind, potential wind shifts and timing. It'll give you a better understanding than the old "finger in the air" approach when you're planning. Once you get to where you're going, you'll see if the wind actually correlates with reports. Then I use wind checks once i'm on site.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! Blows my mind how some people respond to questions.

If you're referring to me, it blows my mind that some people need a cell phone app to tell which way the wind is blowing. You asked a question, I gave you an answer that is a result of half a century of hunting experience. But, apparently I'm just an old idjit that don't know anything about hunting. I guess Browning Slayer who agreed and has a thread running with a monster buck he killed doesn't know anything about hunting either.

If you choose to dismiss people's honest advice to a question and be ill about them offering it, then that's your problem. Why ask if you don't want an answer? You are the one that confirmed that relying on the electronic universe isn't accurate for you in the real world. It isn't for me either. There is one way to know which way the wind is blowing in any given small area. And so simple that it's obvious. It's surprising that I have to point that out. There is life and things happening outside the internet and your phone, believe it or not. I will hush now and go back to the 18th century and leave y'all professional hunters alone.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
SL hunting. It'll give you a scent cone for the predominant wind, potential wind shifts and timing. It'll give you a better understanding than the old "finger in the air" approach when you're planning. Once you get to where you're going, you'll see if the wind actually correlates with reports. Then I use wind checks once i'm on site.

There you go.

Doug B.

If you're referring to me, it blows my mind that some people need a cell phone app to tell which way the wind is blowing. You asked a question, I gave you an answer that is a result of half a century of hunting experience. But, apparently I'm just an old idjit that don't know anything about hunting. I guess Browning Slayer who agreed and has a thread running with a monster buck he killed doesn't know anything about hunting either.

If you choose to dismiss people's honest advice to a question and be ill about them offering it, then that's your problem. Why ask if you don't want an answer? You are the one that confirmed that relying on the electronic universe isn't accurate for you in the real world. It isn't for me either. There is one way to know which way the wind is blowing in any given small area. And so simple that it's obvious. It's surprising that I have to point that out. There is life and things happening outside the internet and your phone, believe it or not. I will hush now and go back to the 18th century and leave y'all professional hunters alone.

This is the best post in the deer hunting forum I've seen in a loooooong time! I have been hunting for forty something years and I've never even thought about using an app for wind direction. I'm pretty sure I never will. That don't make me right, but I would rather see for myself which way the wind is blowing than waste my time letting some app tell me.

Doubletrouble

I didn't ask for your opinion. I ask about apps that people use & since you don't use them you can't help me. Funny how people always put there 2 cents in whether it's ask for or not. I dont need a weather app to hunt but I do check the weather apps to see what they say & I also check the wind when I go hunting. Your way of hunting may or may not be the way everybody else hunts. That's ok too!

DaveLB

Windfinder is good. I use it for hunting, surfing, and fishing. Seems to be more accurate than most.

I don't need an app to tell me what the wind is doing right now. I need it to tell me what it is likely to be doing in 2 days when I hunt. That way I can map out the best stand location, approach, etc. It is especially critical when hunting public land cause you need to have plan a, b, and possibly c, d & e depending on who might have beat you to your spot.

Doubletrouble

Windfinder is good. I use it for hunting, surfing, and fishing. Seems to be more accurate than most.

I don't need an app to tell me what the wind is doing right now. I need it to tell me what it is likely to be doing in 2 days when I hunt. That way I can map out the best stand location, approach, etc. It is especially critical when hunting public land cause you need to have plan a, b, and possibly c, d & e depending on who might have beat you to your spot.
Exactly! Thanks for the info.

Buckstop

Scout look and best hunting are two I've used the last few years. Sometimes I use few strands off a cotton boll before I walk in on real calm days to see which way the overall drift is.