running out of scope adjustments

habersham hammer

I have a Browning X-bolt stainless stalker topped with a Leupold 3x9x40 VX2 and am using Warne rings and bases. This is the second time I have had this scope on this rifle. I moved it back this summer. I went to shoot it recently and I have ran out of vertical adjustment, it will not go any higher.

The last time I had the same scope on this rifle I did not have any problems getting it zeroed.:huh:

I heard one time that on each turret you need to wind it all the way to the end and count how many clicks it takes to run it out the other way and then go back and split the difference and do this before you mount the scope.

If I do this and remount it, should it correct this problem?:huh:

trial&error

That procedure just sets your scope back to it's relative center. Did you reuse the same rings? any chance they are backwards? did you shim any part of the mounting?

I would remount.

wareagle700

Where are the rings located on the scope tube and how tight did you mount them? Warne vertical split rings rely on the scope tube flexing in order to work as designed, which is a poor design IMO. This has been known to cause issues with parallax and tracking in some scopes.

Don't rule out the Leupold either. It wouldn't be the first one they got back. Try another known quality scope and see if the issues remain.

Might have been the removable SS cross bar in the rings was not set into the base fully? Also, you can reset the scope by setting it onto a mirror, objective down in a well lit room and adjusting the two sets of crosshairs that will appear back together.

Do you have any type of mechanical bore-sighter to use? I like to check the crosshair movement with one as I adjust a newly mounted scope. It allows you to see the movement of the crosshairs in any direction and also how much each click moves it. You can also use it to center the crosshairs again as well.

I've never found issue using Warne vertical rings in either their own bases or any weaver type base. It takes some practice to get the "system" down correctly, but they are one of my favorite mounting systems and I own about ten rifles using them now.

Jester896

Senior Clown
same rings - I may just take it off and start over

that is what I would try. If you knew what the total travel from the factory....you could also use that procedure to check and make sure the erector was operating correctly...see if you are getting the advertised travel.