1901 7mm mauser Remington rolling block

Al White

Anyone ever shot one of these, and if so - did you use commercial ammo, or a custom handload?

BradW

I've got a 1860's Swedish Rolling Block that is a contract copy of the Remington Rolling Block #1 in 12.7x44, and I shoot/reload custom loads for it since you really only want to run black powder in it. I use cutdown 50 AE shells on mine and cast bullets for it.

Not sure on yours, but with ones of that age, I would be really leary of running normal commercial ammo in them, as it tends to be hot. Buffalo Bore has made some old rounds for guns, and may make lower power or appropriate rounds for yours, but going by the year you are still close to the smokeless/bp switch. Just dig into it and find out what it was loaded with, and start from there and go pretty conservative. Even the Garand you don't shoot modern 30-06 through as it can break your op rod without using an modded gas plug for example.

Digging a little bit, looks like you want to hand load. Appears that modern cases are a bit shorter on the headspace and will cause serious issues.

http://www.remingtonsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4500

Al White

Thanks for the info, everything I've seen says to shoot a reload with less powder.

pavogrande

Regarding the 1902 RRB - Yes and yes -
the 1902 is a smokeless powder weapon -
Generally commercial ammo is fine if it headspaces correctly.
There was talk at the time these first came on the market, about 1960 that they were chambered for a slightly different 7x57 cart.
I never had any problem with mine but at that time 7x57 ammo was not plentiful and when the old military ammo ran out I made cases from 30/06 --
I bought mine at Ye olde hunters in alexandria va about 1960 for $4.95 and about $1.00 for 100 rounds of some military surplus ammo --
Ah -- those were the days -- 55cal boyes anti-tank rifle for $75.
But who had $75 --