If you score with one of those "Interesting" calibers

Hillbilly stalker

Don't know if this one will count as odd ball, was a common find 40 years ago. It's my favorite hog gun. Short,quick follow up shot , light, points easy , packs a whallop, and everybody wants it when they see it. Took this 225-250 lb sow with it yesterday. I like to stalk them on WMA just to prove the ney Sayers wrong. Ruger .44 mag carbine. Older one with the metal trim. 30 yard shot, bang flop. I've killed a truck load with it. 250 grain Barnes with complete penetration.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,239

GAHUNTER60

I've coveted one of those little guns
since they were first introduced in 1960. I guess it's because they handle like an M-1 Carbine, but pack considerably more "umph."

I've never known anyone who hunted with one that didn't love it. Congrats on your success with a true Bill Ruger classic deer thumper.

I filled my Kentucky tag this year with a Marlin .444P. It's actually the 3rd different Marlin .444 that I've taken a buck with from the same stand since 2013 (2013 buck in avatar) Two different .444Ps and a .444S. Used 265gr Hornady Superformance load.

Attachments

• New Ky 2017.jpg
    New Ky 2017.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 439
  • New Ky 2017 2.jpg
    New Ky 2017 2.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:

Darien1

I scored yesterday in Washington, County on an 8 point buck with my Winchester Model 70 Feather Weight in 6.5X55 Swede.

Attachments

• 1E47FF8C-1F9C-48A8-AD12-BC3F9808AAE0.JPG
    1E47FF8C-1F9C-48A8-AD12-BC3F9808AAE0.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0023 (1).JPG
    IMG_0023 (1).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 398

pacecars

100 yards with the Shiloh .45-100, 511 grain paper patch bullet over 81 grains of black powder

pdsniper

Got up at zero Dark Thirty yesterday morning thought I would sit for a couple of hours and see if I could maybe see a Buck to get before the season was over, been so busy in my shop doing leather work I have not had much time this year to deer hunt, I figured I would hunt till about 8:45 then get busy in the shop, at 8:15 this buck came running across the field I was watching and just before he went in the woods I was able to get enough lead on him to make the shot at 255 yrds and drop him using my long range sniper rifle chambered in 300 Norma Mag having trouble getting picture to post I will get it asap

Last edited:

pacecars

Very nice!

BeefMaster

Lots of scores with a 6mm-284 wildcat out of a Remington 700 platform over the years. Using Barnes TTSX 85 grain bullet over Varget, we run it around 3600fps. Furthest shot was a hair over 300 yards. Rascal didn't even take a step. Works good on "Wilbur"too. Problem is the brass is hard to come by. Found it on the innernet but one would think the brass is made from unicorn glitter due to the cost.

GAHUNTER60

Lots of scores with a 6mm-284 wildcat out of a Remington 700 platform over the years. Using Barnes TTSX 85 grain bullet over Varget, we run it around 3600fps. Furthest shot was a hair over 300 yards. Rascal didn't even take a step. Works good on "Wilbur"too. Problem is the brass is hard to come by. Found it on the innernet but one would think the brass is made from unicorn glitter due to the cost.

How about a Redding Case Forming Die in 6mm-.284? They are in stock and on sale at Midway USA right now for 79 bucks.

All you need then is a source for .284 Win. brass!

nick_o_demus

I don't do much deer hunting anymore, but I was able to drop a big doe over thanksgiving with an AR chambered in .300 AAC blackout (7.62x35) using a Barnes Vor-Tx 110 grain tipped Tac-Tx round. She dropped where she stood appx 35 yards away.

mrfudd

Not sure if it counts as odd, but I killed a 75 lb doe with a 270gr TSX from my old Sako 375 H&H. No problems with penetration! BTW, I am a big fan of the 9.3x62. I had one on a Model 70 Classic action. Very accurate and mild recoil. I sold it when I found the Sako.

GAHUNTER60

My son killed a nine pointer with a 9.3x62 this morning. He was shooting a 286-grain Norma Alaskan bullet and hit it too far forward, breaking both shoulders before exiting.

Not sure if the deer died from the bullet, or if it froze to death. Brutal morning in the stand!!!

My son killed a nine pointer with a 9.3x62 this morning. He was shooting a 286-grain Norma Alaskan bullet and hit it too far forward, breaking both shoulders before exiting.

Not sure if the deer died from the bullet, or if it froze to death. Brutal morning in the stand!!!

I've killed a nice Kentucky buck and a big Georgia boar hog with a couple of 9.3x62s I own. The 286gr loads show no mercy, that's for darn sure!

GAHUNTER60

If we ever go back to Africa, my son plans to use his 9.3 on cape buffalo. In most African countries, 9.3x62 is the legal minimum for dangerous game, including buff and elephant.

It's pretty effective on whitetail too!

Latest posts