Purina Pro Plan Sport

TAS

The woman I bought my dog from is a Veterinarian. She was feeding him Purina Pro Plan Sport. I bought some yesterday. Was looking at ratings. It gets 5 stars by customers using it at Petsmart but dogfoodadvisor only gives in 2.5 stars. Any thoughts on this feed?

chp.cheatham

My GSP has eaten Purina Pro For Sporting Dogs since day one. She has had no skin problems, beautiful coat, nothing but lean muscle and no food allergies. The breeder I bought her from, Dave Walker, swears by it.

Kline2054

I personally strongly disagree with purina proplan. the 2.5 stars on dogfoodadvisor pretty much says it all.

Victor
Fromm
4Health

those are 3 good choices

Fromm has been in business for 100 years and has never had a recall on any of their dog foods

Kline2054

Have you had personal exoerience negatively with it?

I actually have. My trainer used it for the dog during is 8 months of training. I left him on the food for 3 months while at home as an effort to try to keep him on one consistent food.

While the dog did not have any adverse reactions to the food, and while he could not speak to me to tell me there were any problems... I personally felt that he was acting a little more groggy and did not have the same pep in his step.

He also had a thinning in his coat and dulling in his coat that I did not like as well as a dermatitis in the skin that would come up every once in a while. I figured this was from just being at school and not being at the house, but it did not improve once he was at home.

I switched him to Fromm and his energy improved as well as a great improvement in his coat

I have not had personal experience with victor or 4health, but many people seem to like it and the ratings and ingredients are good

I ran out of his food one Sunday and decided I would give him an afternoon feeding from an unopened small bag of proplan that was given to me after I already switched. My dog turned his nose up at it and walked away. I have never had him once turn away from food, even when he was on the proplan, when he has been sick, or at any time.

Many trainers, including yourself use purina proplan and every dog is different and everyones opinion will be different. However, the next time my dog goes back to school I will supply his own food instead of the proplan

I do not think anything less of people who choose to feed their dogs the foods that they choose as I know everyone has the best of intentions, especially the people on here getting advice. (as long as its not ole roy haha)

my "opinion" remains that purina is not as good of a brand for the money and I personally do not think the ingredient list is as good as other foods available

I take my dogs to the vet once every 6 months regardless of if anything is due for a checkup, the vet sees nothing wrong with proplan and says he has a lot of dogs on it. I have several friends that are vets and also see nothing wrong with the food. It just remains that my opinion is that there are better options

Melvin4730

I have fed Victor, Black Gold, Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, and ProPlan among others. I liked the Diamond Extreme Athlete the best, but they started having recalls. ProPlan for the past few years, dogs are doing good on it.

Last edited:

maker4life

Pro Plan is good food but it's over priced. You can get a good premium food and still be affordable.

I use FRM Gold Select and am very satisfied. Ten bird dogs that hunt four to five days a week.

Melvin4730

Absolutely, if you have ten dogs, you look at the price a lot more than a man with 1 or 2 dogs. I have 4 dogs (1 field Bred lab, 2 field Bred English cockers, and 1 feist/squirrel dog). The price difference between the different dog foods doesn’t mean that much when feeding a dog or two, but it does when you have ten dogs.

I can get proplan just about anywhere. I would have to drive 30 to 45 minutes to get FRM.

I actually started ordering dog food through AmazonPrime with free shipping a few months ago. Today, I switched to ordering through Chewy.com with free shipping, if you order over a certain amount. You might want to look into that.

Last edited:

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
The woman I bought my dog from is a Veterinarian. She was feeding him Purina Pro Plan Sport. I bought some yesterday. Was looking at ratings. It gets 5 stars by customers using it at Petsmart but dogfoodadvisor only gives in 2.5 stars. Any thoughts on this feed?
Pro Plan all the way

I actually have. My trainer used it for the dog during is 8 months of training. I left him on the food for 3 months while at home as an effort to try to keep him on one consistent food.

While the dog did not have any adverse reactions to the food, and while he could not speak to me to tell me there were any problems... I personally felt that he was acting a little more groggy and did not have the same pep in his step.

He also had a thinning in his coat and dulling in his coat that I did not like as well as a dermatitis in the skin that would come up every once in a while. I figured this was from just being at school and not being at the house, but it did not improve once he was at home.

I switched him to Fromm and his energy improved as well as a great improvement in his coat

I have not had personal experience with victor or 4health, but many people seem to like it and the ratings and ingredients are good

I ran out of his food one Sunday and decided I would give him an afternoon feeding from an unopened small bag of proplan that was given to me after I already switched. My dog turned his nose up at it and walked away. I have never had him once turn away from food, even when he was on the proplan, when he has been sick, or at any time.

Many trainers, including yourself use purina proplan and every dog is different and everyones opinion will be different. However, the next time my dog goes back to school I will supply his own food instead of the proplan

I do not think anything less of people who choose to feed their dogs the foods that they choose as I know everyone has the best of intentions, especially the people on here getting advice. (as long as its not ole roy haha)

my "opinion" remains that purina is not as good of a brand for the money and I personally do not think the ingredient list is as good as other foods available

I take my dogs to the vet once every 6 months regardless of if anything is due for a checkup, the vet sees nothing wrong with proplan and says he has a lot of dogs on it. I have several friends that are vets and also see nothing wrong with the food. It just remains that my opinion is that there are better options
Any dog can have adverse reactions to any kind of feed.

We have owned and fed Pro plan to six dogs over the last ten years, and are still feeding five with very good results

One had skin problems, and he had problems with every other feed that we tried.

We have raised three puppies for other people on Pro Plan, and have had two litters of puppies out of our dogs started on Pro Plan with no issues

Absolutely, if you have ten dogs, you look at the price a lot more than a man with 1 or 2 dogs. I have 4 dogs (1 field Bred lab, 2 field Bred English cockers, and 1 feist/squirrel dog). The price difference between the different dog foods doesn’t mean that much when feeding a dog or two, but it does when you have ten dogs.

I can get proplan just about anywhere. I would have to drive 30 to 45 minutes to get FRM.

I actually started ordering dog food through AmazonPrime with free shipping a few months ago. Today, I switched to ordering through Chewy.com with free shipping, if you order over a certain amount. You might want to look into that.
We order online from Chewy Mostly when they have a sale, and order several bags at a time to take advantage of the sale price

ryanh487

First 5 ingredients of any dog food are 90% of what your dog is eating. If corn or byproduct are listed, pass. Meat meal should also not be the first ingredient. I haven't looked at a bag in a while, but last I checked purina, iams, pedigree, etc were all overpriced junk.

AllTerrainAngler

I started my dogs on pro plan sport. Energy high, very little stool, great coast but only one issue. Neither of my dogs would put on weight with any type of pro plan. I even tried feeding almost double portion for over a month and still wouldn't hold weight. I swithed to diamond natural and it was decent. very little improvement. Moved to kent native. Still nothing. Then saw diamond hi energy which is a cheaper food by diamond. Actually keeps weight on my dogs, still have plenty energy, and great coats.

3ringer

We feed our GSP’s Purina Pro Sport. One of our GSP’s is now overweight at 65 lbs. The vet Saturday told us to stop giving her the purina pro plan sport because our dogs are not active enough. We don’t hunt them. She suggested a diet food to try to cut down her weight. They were only getting 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 cups in the evening. The vet said our dogs were getting too much protein . We will see what happens with the diet food.

TAS

Took my dog to his first vet visit with me. She said overall he looked great. She thought his coat was dull. She asked that I switch him to a puppy formula. She recommended that I mix half proplan with half taste of wild puppy. Will see how that goes with his stomach.

Jeremiah Glaze

I've studied dog food ingredients for quite some time. Pro plan is over rated and over priced. A lot better feeds and for less money. I personally fed it for several months and the dogs wouldn't hold weight on it. Victor and 4 health both good deeds. Diamond extreme athlete also. The 2.5 star rating is about right. Pp is an average corn based dog food like 95% of dog food made, yet it's double the price! And for less lbs, who sells a 37.5 lb bag? What a rip off. And before anyone even replies they get purina points and get free bags of dog food off the upc s , no you don't. You paid way to much for each one of those bags, there for you actuallh paid for that "free one"

rvick

I feed Pro Plan Sport during tracking season. I feed Diamond Premium Adult in the off season. Tried Victor but we don't like it.