Bear hunting in North Georgia

Marlin_444

Yep, 1st one was 2 small... On the second on, I thought I heard a "click" and was anticipating a "BOOM", until I heard that tell tale "arrow slide"!!!

I'd drop that 2nd one, he was a bruiser bruin!!! Main I am excited about the hunt...

I talked with my Taxidermist and he said to be sure and bring the fur, head in tact... I am assuming one of you guys can give a fella a hand in how to skin it out!

Get'n my bow practice in this morning, went out to the hunt camp and put a camo "Skirt" on my Tripod, went to check out the ladder stand and there was Fresh Deer Scat all over the place... Guess where I'am gonna be next Saturday AM when the sun comes up???

Take care, be safe and we'll see yah in the woods!

ngabearhunter

Be sure you know what kind of mount you want before skinning it. This is really important if you want a standing full body mount. You don't want to stand there and see the stitching from where you gutted it.

Marlin_444

Head in Rug for me.

Marlin_444

Hey All:

I'am with Base3448 - Come on Saturday, looking for Mr. 12 point!!!

Take care, be safe and we'll see you in the woods!!!

Cooter

Marlin_444

Hey Fellas

Quess it's my week for some good news!

Passed my test from when I was in Virginia, so I don't have to pay the company $2000.00 that I would have ifn I'd flunked!

Received a letter from the President of my company letting me know I will receive a 6 percent (better than 0) profit sharing allocation.

Lastly, just got notified by the DNR that I was drawn for the BF Grant Quota Hunt Nov. 29 to Dec. 2, now I am looking for other folks (Woody'ites) to hook up with.

Posted a thread in the "Public Land" section of the forum, le'me know if you have any thoughts on how to hook up with others!!!

I'll be poking around the forum to get the word out!

Any of Ya'll gonna be there???

I am traveling on business in Hilton Head until Friday.

Only 4 more golf outings and I'll put the sticks up (Best part of my Golf Game is when Deer Season Starts!!!)

Take care, be safe and I'll see you dragging that 12 Point outta the woods on Saturday (Post Those Pics Brothers!!!)

Cooter

base3448

Just got in from the hunting weekend, Me and a friend went and thanks to the support and expert training, education and guideing on BEAR 101 tactics. I had a great hunt.

Between me and my buddy, we saw 6 bears. Had one come into camp choc in color 250 or so, the night before Archery. Hugh bear, did not pay any mind to us. I new in the morning it would be good. No shooter bears. alot of sign, but had a great time.

Thanks for support and hunter friendship, Ready for BEAR 202 classes.

Dana Young

I let one that would probably make pope and young walk sat morning, When I first saw him I thought he was too small and then He changed angles and Irealized he was a shooter bear, Probably weigh out better than 300 lbs with a head the size of a wash tub. The only shot I had was when I first saw him. I followed him trying to flank him for about 4 or 500 yds but just as he was starting to turn to cross my path my foot slipped on a rock and he heard me and looked right at me thats when I knew he was a pope and young bear, He stood just over waste high with a length of 5 or more feet but he was just over 40 yds through some limbs and facing me, he turned and trotted over the hill and got into some thick stuff. I found where he was headed to some white oaks just above where I spooked him, here is where I found evidence of just how big he really is, I found a mountain dew can with canine teeth holes 3 inches apart in it, That tells me he will probably measure pope and young. Trust me guys I see alot of bears and judging their size is sometimes hard to do when I first saw him I thought he wasn't big enough and he was only 25 yds away but below me on the mtn as I followed him at different angles I was able to determine that he was a much larger bear. so start looking at all the pictures of bears you can find and try to judge their size.

Base looks like you might not even need our help on getting a bear. Chattahoochee is full of them but I believe I would try to get that chocolate phase one they are not very common in these mtns also be careful with that bear because he has becam acclimated to humans and he will be dangerous because he has lost his fear of humans. I'll probably go back after that large one this afternoon as I am reasonably sure I will see him again and this time I will be in a stand waiting on him.
Dana

ngabearhunter

I wonder who will get the 1st bear for 2006???
The race is on!!
I'm saving my luck for the Woody's bear hunt, that way I'll have help dragging!

pnome

Saw a big ole black bear in Dawson Forest yesterday. First bear I've seen in the wild.

base3448

Well all I can say is being at the right spot at the right time, some hunters hunt long and hard and never see any at all. That was a dream day for me.

I can say without the knowledge and help of other skilled hunters passing on the tradition of good ethical bear hunting skills. I would not be who i am today and surely not have had a day like that, which i will never forget and shared with my family.:cheers:

Marlin_444

Hey Base3448:

Sounds like you got the FEVER! Good to hear you are get'n out to the woods and getting a jump start on that MONSTER bruin!

I've been in the deer woods over the past few days, man has it been toasty during the day (down here in Sparta, GA). 0 for 3, but the odds are getting better!!!

Somebody once told me that "You can't catch any fish unless you have your hook in the water" - so for me, get'n out there is half the battle!!!

Take care, be safe and we'll see you in the woods soon!

Cooter:flag:

Resica

Hello,sounds like you guys are gonna have a great time,no matter.I'm from Pa. and they hunt bear a little different up here.They put on drives and beat them out of the swamps and mountain laurel and rhodies.How many bear do you guys have and how big do they get?We have somewhere around 15 thousand bears.Last season they shot 3354 during the 3 day season and an additional 810 during the extended season in several counties.Couple years back they had 3 harvested over 800 lbs.Have heard of some trapped and tagged in the fall over 1000 lbs.No one has shot one yet.Haven't bear hunted in several years but found your dialouge interesting and wanted to share. check out the following link.http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=473&q=168199

Dana Young

Resica,
Not sure of the estimated # or #'s killed but we have plenty of bears and some into the 500 lb range. Our bear season in the mtn counties last from sept 9'th through Dec 3'rd this year. These dates include bow, muzzleloader, and modern firearms. we also have wildlife management areas with hunts after those dates.

Al33

:biggrin2: He does pretty good of course we went to an easy place yesterday.

HEY NOW, I wasn't even close to being ready to stop climbing.:huh: :) Anytime you want to take the hard route I am willing to tag along.:biggrin2: BTW, the climb wasn't nearly as rough as the ride.:rofl: You know I am kidding you Dana, that was fun too!:D

Thanks Dana for a great afternoon in those beautiful mountains. I really appreciate you sharing your insight and smarts about hunting the bears. I want to do it again REAL soon. I have to be at Unicoi State Park on the 23rd to help out with a kids archery shoot. Maybe I can come up earlier or stay later and we can do it again. My part in the effort at Unicoi should be over by 3 PM but I might be able to cut that short if need be.