carpenter bees

reflexman

Snake Dodger
went to property to put in spring plots n mineral blocks n saw areas of saw dust around cabin im always worried about termites but neighbor showed me where they had been boring holes in drip edge up top n said they were carpenter bees n I found one dead in bathroom anybody know how to get rid a them thanks

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
They make traps for them. They've been at it for two months at my club

Suggest you do a computer search for carpenter bees and you will be able to learn what to do about them. Do it yourself is the best way to go-traps, pesticide, mechanical, etc.....

fishtail

Hang CD's with string from the eve about 10' from each other.
The wind blowing them around and the sun shining on them aggravates the devil out of Carpenter Bees and most birds.
It usually works better to deter them before they have established a place that year.

Stonewall 2

I got a trap this year as they were beginning to make the underside of my deck look like Swiss cheese. I have caught or killed all around my house for now. The trap wasn't working too well until I filled all their holes with caulk then over the next couple of days I caught around 20 or so. I've still got it out and was catching one or two every once in awhile but nothing over the last couple of weeks. I hope they are gone!

Hunt&Fish

Dust the holes with delta dust.

if you have patience and can reach the holes here's what you do. Get a can of starter fluid (ether) and wait til there's a bee in the hole and spray starter fluid in the hole. I don't know if it kills them by poison or if it freezes them. Whichever the means, it kills them.

WOODSWIZE

I posted pics of my homemade traps a while back -they fill up quick and no bait is used. Easy to build yourself out of scrap wood and you can use glass Mason jars with a funnel -or just about any configure. 5/8" drilled holes work best on my cabin, but others say 1/2" work for them so try 1/2" first and then "open" up the hole if no bees are getting in. Leave them in there until it fills up -the smell and buzzing brings more bees to the trap. Notice the live bee's in there.....

Attachments

• beetrap.jpg
    beetrap.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,310

GTHunter007

A cooler of beer and a pair of badminton rackets make for some great fun!

WD-40 cans with a straw also work like a champ.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
if you have patience and can reach the holes here's what you do. Get a can of starter fluid (ether) and wait til there's a bee in the hole and spray starter fluid in the hole. I don't know if it kills them by poison or if it freezes them. Whichever the means, it kills them.

Actually it puts them to sleep. ::ke:

gt40

GTHunter007

I always wondered what WD-40 tasted like when using a straw. :banginghe

gt40

If you try to taste it and use a McD's straw please let someone hold your sign before hand. :cheers:

Eudora

Never tried it, but I once saw some brown paper bags filled with loosely wadded newspaper and the bag top tied with string and hung from the eaves of a pole barn. I inquired what the heck it was for and was told the carpenter bees think it is a hornet nest. I guess them bees ain't too fond of hornets? Come to think of it, neither am I.

Whiteeagle

Like Eudora said, the bags look like hornet nests to the bees, hornets are their WORST enemies and the carpenter bees want NO part of them! Also a good thing to REMEMBER is the plight of the Honey Bees and the problems with them dying off, the old Carpenter Bee is the TOP pollinator for fruit, vegetables, flowers and MOST plants! Try "scareing" them off before killing, you may want some apple, persimmon, pear and other fruit to attract deer, or maybe some FOOD to eat!........Just saying.......