Return to Law; lose salvation?

Artfuldodger

I read verses about Jesus and others warning folks of the consequences of returning to the Law.
I think perhaps because Christianity was new and some of the new followers would return to the Law.

I'm wondering how this affected their salvation and if it affects one's salvation today?

Can we separate verses pertaining to returning to the Law from verses about returning to sin as far as how it affects salvation.

It's easy to fall back into a life of sin but to return to the Law would be like saying "I once believed I could save myself by following the Law. I realized I couldn't so accepted the belief that Jesus died for my inability. Now I have returned to believe I can save myself by following the Law."

I'm sure the early Jewish Christians and even the Gentiles were confused as to how much of the "Law" they were to follow and how it affected their salvation if they didn't.

James 5:19-20
My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20consider this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

Had they wandered from the truth(gospel) and returned to the Law?

Galatians 3:2-3
Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You received the Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ.
3How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?

hobbs27

And dispensationalist believe God will honor a third temple and return to law soon... To me this belittles the Church.

hobbs27

Does the third temple mean a return to the Law?

That's the way I understand dispensationalist, but I may be misrepresenting them. The ones I've debated have eluded to this anyways.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
most jews have never left the law, so there is no return to the law, just a continuation of the law that they have lived under for 6000 years. They are eager to see the 3rd Temple rebuilt and sacrafice reinstated.

Artfuldodger

most jews have never left the law, so there is no return to the law, just a continuation of the law that they have lived under for 6000 years. They are eager to see the 3rd Temple rebuilt and sacrafice reinstated.

What role will the 3rd Temple play within Christianity?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It won't, as I understand it, except for a sign of the end coming soon. It will bring a great joy and celebration for the jew, as they see it as a return to the religion of their fathers, free to practice it as prescribe in the Torah.

You should see the celebrations they have now on the Sabbath at the western wall. If you ever see the joy involved in their worship at the wall, you will understand how, when the 3rd temple is destroyed, it will bring about a huge war. They won't give up the Temple again without a fight

hobbs27

I'd say those that didn't believe in Christ weren't in the law. Torah being the psalms, the prophets, and commandments pointed to Christ.

If they failed to recognize their Messiah that was foretold in Torah then they were apostate believers. The true Israelites believed in Christ as the Messiah. They became Christian which is the continuation of the Old mosaic Judaism. Christianity is the religion of Abraham, Elijah, and Jesus.

The few wicked non believers that survived the sacking of Jerusalem invented a new religion. Rabbinic Judaism. It's as false a religion as Islam .

Just one more point. There's no third temple mentioned in scripture.

Last edited:

Latest posts