Who believes in determinism.?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
In view of the train wreck the free will thread has became, I am going to try this again, albeit from a much narrower context. Simply put, do you believe in determinism(as defined below) and what SPECIFIC scriptures do you find that supports this view?

Theological determinism is the view that God determines every event that occurs in the history of the world.

Artfuldodger

You mean like tornado, or saving someone from of a tornado?
I heard someone say God saved him from a tornado by steering it away from his house.

I wonder if God could steer a tornado he didn't make? If he didn't make it, who did?

jmharris23

Like these?

Proverbs 16:4 -The Lord has made everything for its purpose,
even the wicked for the day of trouble.

16:9 - The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

16:33 - The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.

Acts 4:27-28 - for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place.

Ephesians 1:11 - In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will

I'm sure I could find more

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Like these?

Proverbs 16:4 -The Lord has made everything for its purpose,
even the wicked for the day of trouble.

16:9 - The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

16:33 - The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.

Acts 4:27-28 - for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place.

Ephesians 1:11 - In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will

I'm sure I could find more

Thank you for your response.

Honestly I have thought about this in depth the last several weeks and have reached no conclusion.
I understand God is sovereign, but I also see man has free will beginning with God giving it to Adam and Eve. I also see it in everyday life. Honestly I'm no closer to understanding the tension of the paradox than when I started.

Artfuldodger

Thank you for your response.

Honestly I have thought about this in depth the last several weeks and have reached no conclusion.
I understand God is sovereign, but I also see man has free will beginning with God giving it to Adam and Eve. I also see it in everyday life. Honestly I'm no closer to understanding the tension of the paradox than when I started.

Hey you sound like me. That's why I used the tornado example.