Ruger #1 or Browning A-bolt Eclipse?

chuckdog

The man asked which rifle between the two he listed. I assume that's what he'd like to hear about? I don't think people buy a new Browning Eclipse or No.1 Ruger thinking about reselling it. It's been my experience that no matter what brand you buy, any deer rifle bought new and sold within the first few years after purchase, you can expect to lose your "donkey". I think we should try and stay on topic. My vote would be for the Browning based on accuracy. Most out of the box A Bolts will out shoot any No.1 that I've personally owned. I love the No. 1 for many reasons, but tack driving accuraccy ain't one em.

8pointduck

I have a gun shop.Top that.Do gunsmithing work. I don't need someone to do it for me. I cannot price a Ruger 77 at the same price as a A-bolt, it will not sell. Most parts on a Ruger are investment cast, which are machined to fit. Only smaller parts are machined out right. I'm not going to argue with you. Ive been in this game way too long. The 77 mk 2 had the worst accuracy in the business.There barrels were not even made in house and that lawyer trigger it had, good grief. The Hawkeye is a great improvement over the later gun which I would own one in a heartbeat. They got that one right;). As for the #1, People are correct when they say it is finicky, but I still like them....sorry for the derail and will not get off topic again.

Buzz

Well - with all that experience you should know that once Ruger started making the MK II they brought the production of the barrels in house. Ruger has been making their own barrels for nearly 20 years now.

The man asked which rifle between the two he listed. I assume that's what he'd like to hear about? I don't think people buy a new Browning Eclipse or No.1 Ruger thinking about reselling it. It's been my experience that no matter what brand you buy, any deer rifle bought new and sold within the first few years after purchase, you can expect to lose your "donkey". I think we should try and stay on topic. My vote would be for the Browning based on accuracy. Most out of the box A Bolts will out shoot any No.1 that I've personally owned. I love the No. 1 for many reasons, but tack driving accuraccy ain't one em.

I asked my original question because it's kind of like asking if I want a Mercedes sedan or a 370z. Both are good in their own right, but it's a rather apples and oranges combination. I've only owned one #1, and it's strangely accurate for what it is. I wouldn't have expected a #1A with a thin barrel in 7x57 to be an easy sub MOA gun, but it is. In fact my experience with all newer Ruger rifles has been pretty good and I used to be one of the biggest Ruger bashers out there.

To me it would just make a lot more sense to be comparing an A-Bolt to a Remington 700, Tikka T3, Ruger M77, Sako, etc.

CTY

Man I love posting here! So much passion for guns....its almost like somone's moma got slapped.

Dub

Man I love posting here! So much passion for guns....its almost like somone's moma got slapped.

Roger that.

We bicker a lot, but in the overall scheme of things we are on the same page. :D

As far as the pics offered by the OP: I'm in favor of the Browining Eclipse....with WITHOUT the B.O.S.S.. I suppose you can put the non ported piece on there...but I rather have the full length with rifled tube...not some weight. To each his own.

If I were actually going to set up a store bought factory rifle for long range hunting, I'd be giving the Remington Sendero line a long hard look.

Good luck.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
I have a gun shop.Top that.Do gunsmithing work. I don't need someone to do it for me. I cannot price a Ruger 77 at the same price as a A-bolt, it will not sell. Most parts on a Ruger are investment cast, which are machined to fit. Only smaller parts are machined out right. I'm not going to argue with you. Ive been in this game way too long. The 77 mk 2 had the worst accuracy in the business.There barrels were not even made in house and that lawyer trigger it had, good grief. The Hawkeye is a great improvement over the later gun which I would own one in a heartbeat. They got that one right;). As for the #1, People are correct when they say it is finicky, but I still like them....sorry for the derail and will not get off topic again.

I happen to own and shoot several MKIIs....which all have Ruger made barrels except my 338-06 which has a Shilen....I haven't found a target or animal that they won't hit yet....as for groups...they all will shoot under 1 inch.

A few....

DSC_0029-2.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

Bruz

SSGN_Doc

I've seen several Ruger No. 1's and they are very nice rifles. When one is dialed in and on, it's a sweet thing. When one has accuracy problems, they are a sonuvagun.

I'd pick the bolt gun just because they are generally more likely to be consistent and are easier to tune if you do get one that isn't super accurate out of the box. I don't have an A-bolt, but I've got a Sako that uses a three lug bolt and is super smooth. Combine that with that short bolt lift and they are super sweet for a fast follow-up if needed.