gobblers driving me insane

I have never hunted turkeys this late in the season, and I am looking for some advice. This morning I had a Gobbler roosted about 100 yards from me. It gobbled so I did a tree yelp and sit there and waited. Then another one gobbled 300 yards away. Then the first one I heard got down gobbled again so I gave him some soft clucks. He never gobbled at my calls, but every time the Gobbler 300 yards away gobbled the first one would gobble at him and he started moving towards the second gobbler.

My question is are the gobblers more interested in companionship with other gobblers than hens this late in the season.

CowtownHunter

Sounds like he might be battin' for the other team. jk.

It's always been a hit or miss for me. Had one do the same thing last month.

Ricochet

Yeah, they like safety in numbers - try gobbling at him next time. I rarely do it myself, but I've heard it works at times.

Ricochet

Get in-between them !
Yep or just a gobble to them a couple of times - that would be enough for the gobbler to pinpoint you're location and probably not enough for another hunter. Seems like it would be worth a try even if it is a little risky.

hoppie

I have never hunted turkeys this late in the season, and I am looking for some advice. This morning I had a Gobbler roosted about 100 yards from me. It gobbled so I did a tree yelp and sit there and waited. Then another one gobbled 300 yards away. Then the first one I heard got down gobbled again so I gave him some soft clucks. He never gobbled at my calls, but every time the Gobbler 300 yards away gobbled the first one would gobble at him and he started moving towards the second gobbler.

My question is are the gobblers more interested in companionship with other gobblers than hens this late in the season.

Just like bucks do after the rut, gobblers will group up late in the season. I have followed gobblers before that were gobbling to another turkey and meeting up. Finally got where I could see and watched them join up, stop gobbling, and go about their business. However, I have seen birds do this and you call one up the next day or even call a group up. When they get like the two you heard sometimes the best thing to do is gobble at them.

hawglips

Banned

At some point they start having more interest in flocking up with other gobblers, and less with hens.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I'm having better luck at getting them to gobble and come in to the calls at 6pm in the evening right now.