GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Handgun Hunting

Old 01-06-2017, 04:53 PM

Old thread:
LCR (that's the 380) in my pocket all the time.
When deep concealment is necessary, NAA 22/22mag.
When at the hunt club OR ghetto areas, Glock 26 or 29.

Folks may argue with stopping power of a 380 or 22mag with the small NAA. I agree, it is marginal, however, I would rather have something with me, than nothing at all. It is not practical for me to always carry something larger.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:47 AM

I used to carry a Kel-Tec P32 ALL THE TIME, then i sold it and bought a Browning 1911-380. I love the pistol but hardly ever carry it cause it's just too big to put in my pocket like i used to carry the 32. I am thinking of getting another Kel Tec but in a 380. It fits in my pocket and disappears. I know i could get an IWB holster for the Browning but i like a pocket carry cause you don't have to worry about it "printing" or having to wear a shirt out side of your pants.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj View Post
I used to carry a Kel-Tec P32 ALL THE TIME, then i sold it and bought a Browning 1911-380. I love the pistol but hardly ever carry it cause it's just too big to put in my pocket like i used to carry the 32. I am thinking of getting another Kel Tec but in a 380. It fits in my pocket and disappears. I know i could get an IWB holster for the Browning but i like a pocket carry cause you don't have to worry about it "printing" or having to wear a shirt out side of your pants.
x2.
LCP in my pocket and don't know it is there.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Across the River:

Previously I recommended the Ruger SR9, the S&W M&P series, the Springfield XD9.

I also like the Glock 19 (or 26, if you want really short and stubby), but not as much as I like the three models above.

Recently (last week) I rented some compact 9mm handguns from a local indoor range.

SCCY (shown in the photo in the post above mine): Didn't like it. Grip didn't fit my hands or trigger finger, and it had a terrible trigger pull. Accuracy suffered. I could barely keep my hits on the torso of a man-sized silhouette target at 25 yards, even shooting slow and aiming carefully. The Double-action Only (DAO) trigger is tough.

RUGER SR9-C: This is the compact version of a duty-sized gun that I'd previously handled and liked. I like this concealed-carry size, too. Trigger was light and short, but not so short or light that I'd feel compelled to use any manual safety, if I had it in a decent holster. I shot good groups with this one.

SMITH & WESSON M&P SHIELD: Pretty nice. Trigger wasn't quite as good as the Ruger, but way better than any DAO automatic. Good sights, good grip shape. I like it. It uses single-stack magazines, but that's OK with me. The 7 round mag is better for deep cover, but I used the 8-round mag, so with one in the chamber that's 9 shots of 9mm at your disposal. Enough to make me feel safe.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnSmokeer View Post
Across the River:

Previously I recommended the Ruger SR9, the S&W M&P series, the Springfield XD9.

I also like the Glock 19 (or 26, if you want really short and stubby), but not as much as I like the three models above.

Recently (last week) I rented some compact 9mm handguns from a local indoor range.

SCCY (shown in the photo in the post above mine): Didn't like it. Grip didn't fit my hands or trigger finger, and it had a terrible trigger pull. Accuracy suffered. I could barely keep my hits on the torso of a man-sized silhouette target at 25 yards, even shooting slow and aiming carefully. The Double-action Only (DAO) trigger is tough.

RUGER SR9-C: This is the compact version of a duty-sized gun that I'd previously handled and liked. I like this concealed-carry size, too. Trigger was light and short, but not so short or light that I'd feel compelled to use any manual safety, if I had it in a decent holster. I shot good groups with this one.

SMITH & WESSON M&P SHIELD: Pretty nice. Trigger wasn't quite as good as the Ruger, but way better than any DAO automatic. Good sights, good grip shape. I like it. It uses single-stack magazines, but that's OK with me. The 7 round mag is better for deep cover, but I used the 8-round mag, so with one in the chamber that's 9 shots of 9mm at your disposal. Enough to make me feel safe.
The M&P Shield fits me very well too. The grip angle and feel are very good for me and I have pretty large hands. I also have the S&W SDVE in .40 (my Shield is also .40) and use it as my main HD handgun, keep situated close by my bed. Full sized and does not feel near as nice in my hand, but still a nice piece, not for CC of course.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:53 PM

glock 19. final answer. why do we keep doing this?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katalee View Post
We keep doing this because there is no one correct answer.

Glock 19 at 7.4 by 5 by 1.2 inches might be a bit large for some.

Kahr CW9 at 5.9 by 4.5 by 0.9 might be a better fit.

Then there are some of us who carry a small revolver.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:10 PM

I'll throw in a couple others in the mix I haven't seen mentioned. Kel-Tec PF-9 for compact or Taurus PT-111 G2 for mid-size. Depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going as to which one I carry and how I wear it but prefer my M&P 9 full size or 1911 commander in 45 cal when I can get away with it.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 AM

I suggest handling as many handguns as possible to see what feels right. It would be even better if you have friends with an assortment that you can fire. You should also consider the availability of concealment holsters for the pistol you like. I regularly conceal a full size glock with a belt holster. For concealment don't skimp on the holster and a good gun belt. I'm by no means an expert, but I have had some formal handgun training and little pocket pistols are hard to get good hits when firing under stress, even at very short range. Larger pistols can be heavy and harder to conceal, but are easier to get good hits if the weapon properly fits you. I'm not a .380 hater, I have a couple, but I just can't bet my life on one. The lcp I have is easy to conceal, but has a terrible trigger. I sometimes opt for a S&W 442 with a tritium big dot sight instead as a "summer time" weapon. It is much easier to make good hits with the 442 than the lcp. For a great belt, search "the Beltman." He's in Apex, NC.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
cant stand a glock, how bout that for a final answer

I like the M&P COMPACT and SHIELD.

going to look into the Kahr CW9
Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 PM

G26 or air weight with barami grips
Old 01-30-2017, 10:26 PM

I carry the s&w bodygaurd .380 in my front pocket/holster. I have a couple of 9's I carry from time to time, but the little BG is the most comfortable. Its made for close range, and that's what I want.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:56 PM
Default Ruger LC9sPro.....but....

My son and I handled the Glock 42 and 43 until he wound up with the 43 (9mm). We both agreed on going the 9mm route and I purchased a Ruger LC9sPro soon after. I LIKE this Ruger, but now after carrying it in my front pocket for 6 months I'm wondering if the almost 4 oz lighter weight and slightly smaller profile of a .380 Glock 42 or the Ruger 380 equivalent might be an easier carry?
As others have said, if it's not in your pocket or holster, and you left it in the truck,...not good. Easier to get stolen out of the truck as well.
Funny how ACTUALLY CARRYING a pistol for a period of time can change one's thinking.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:33 PM

My main carry is a PT-111 Millennium Pro.
12+1. Light, slim, accurate and reliable.
I have heard GOOD things about the G2 but I don't have any experience with that one.
Taurus International makes really great firearms that won't break the bank.

Yep.. You can spend as much as you want (and I have, previously)
but this a FINE weapon available in several calibers.
Mine happens to be 9 Para.. thinking mil-surp would be available.
RONG on that one.

I probably would have went with the 9 anyway. The .40 S&W
is the same size with a loss of two rounds.

What you want is what you can carry and bring to position,
last, but more important: Hits where you shoot.

Last edited by Big7; 02-07-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Cool/cold weather, under shirt/jacket in waist band-1911
Warm weather, under shirt or pants/cargo pocket-357 snubbie.

I really like the snubbie...I load 38+P for target/fun shooting
and mid power 357 HP for carry....with 38+P ammo it is comfortable for wife to shoot/carry....
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM

The gun I carry most often is a LCP. Florida is hot and a lot of days I'm wearing surf shorts and flip flops or similar. It's just so easy to carry and we don't often have to worry about penetrating thick coats or anything. If I am wearing more baggy cargo shorts then I usually have my Glock 19 or Kimber 1911 Pro Carry on me.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:06 PM

I just picked up a Kahr CW380 & a Sig P238, waiting to shoot the Sig, but the Kahr shoots sweet & weighs 10oz unloaded.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Default Carry Gun

Depends on what I am wearing and where I am going. Glock 19 and when dressing up a Ruger Lc9s Pro.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 AM

I always have my Keltec 380 in my pocket. I bought my wife a Taurus 85 airweight .38 for Christmas. She & I both really like it. I'm thinking about getting myself one.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:

The 1911 crowd could say the same. I'm a member of their group and agree with them.

The wheelgun crows could also say the same. I'm a member of their group and agree....

When not packing a 1911 or wheelgun.....there's a G19 along for the ride.

Lots of options available to us and that's the great thing. I completely agree with posters in this thread who say it's the one you have with you that trumps any number of them that you leave at home. Good holsters and belts certainly make it much easier.

Be safe folks.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:06 PM

Taurus PT111 G2 in my holster. Packed with Speer Gold Dot 124gr. Size of a Chihuahua with the bite of a Rottweiler.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:19 AM

I switch mine up sometimes. S&W .38 spl airweight,,, Beretta 950 .25 cal but have really been enjoying the Ruger LCP 2.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Kimber Ultra Carry II chambered in 45 Caliber for Me!!

I've given the 380 LCP to most of my family as gifts...things CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored near fit in a watch pockets..easy!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by across the river View Post
I'm sure this has been hashed out on here before, but if you don't mind lets go through the exercise again. I'm not a huge pistol guy, but I am looking to get a pistol for conceal carry. I have a few including a S&W 38 I take now if feel the need to carry, but I would like to go mid-sized semi over a snub nose. Anyway, all recommendations are welcome. I have looked a quite few and have a couple in mind, but I would like to get the thoughts from you guys that have a lot of experiences with a lot of different models.

Well.....it's been more than 5 months....just wondering if you made any decisions and how it's going ?

Hopefully you are getting more range time with yours than I am, lol.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 AM

I bought an XDm 3.8 40 S&W for carry, and I do carry it, but the one gun that I carry the most is my Keltec PF9 wrapped in a Desantis Cozy Partner. It has proven to be reliable and it eats Federal HST like I eat candy bars.

I bought a Glock 43 for the wife, added a Taran Tactical +1 mag base. She shot it professed undying love for it, Sold it to one of her girlfriends and came home with a Shield .45 2 weeks later. When I met her she carried a Springfield 1911 (Commander). Her Dad has her convinced that calibers start at .45 and end at ACP. Oh well, at least she carries.
Attached Images