De-worming Deer?

coxland

Has anyone ever heard of this? makes sence but only heard of this recently. A guy told me that deer get worms just like dogs and other animals and it hurts their health. If this is the case, does anyone know what product you would use to get rid of worms in deer?

dtala

Safeguard cattle wormer pellets, mix it with corn in a feeder. Don't worry if one deer gets too much, it won't hurt. Put it out, wait two weeks and do it again. Twice a year, Feb and Aug.

Some folks use Ivermectin cattle pour-on. Fill a five gallon bucket with whole corn, pour in the Ivermectin and mix it up. Place the corn on a sheet of plywood to dry, then add to the feeder.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Chicory ... another option?

Recently chicory has been found to have some interesting and even mysterious attributes when consumed by small ruminants such as sheep, goats and deer. Mark Thomas with Barenbrug USA told me that it seems to reduce parasites in sheep that graze on chicory in New Zealand.

“Sheep are wormy critters and need to be treated with de-worming medications every month when grazing in standard grass and legume pastures,” Mark said. “However, when sheep graze on pastures where chicory is present, we have found they only need worming once a year. This may be due to the unique tannins that chicory contains, but we can’t say for sure yet.”

http://www.qdma.com/what-we-do/articles/food-plotshabitat/chicory/

shakey gizzard

Recently chicory has been found to have some interesting and even mysterious attributes when consumed by small ruminants such as sheep, goats and deer. Mark Thomas with Barenbrug USA told me that it seems to reduce parasites in sheep that graze on chicory in New Zealand.

“Sheep are wormy critters and need to be treated with de-worming medications every month when grazing in standard grass and legume pastures,” Mark said. “However, when sheep graze on pastures where chicory is present, we have found they only need worming once a year. This may be due to the unique tannins that chicory contains, but we can’t say for sure yet.”

http://www.qdma.com/what-we-do/articles/food-plotshabitat/chicory/

I have heard the same thing about tobacco!:huh:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I suspect tobacco would .... I just don't know if deer would eat it?

wildlifepro

Banned
RE chicory

I have heard the same thing about tobacco!:huh:

Chicory is showing small traces of positive results in a couple ruminant types.I have done and been involved a couple fecal matter studies several years ago that deer had a good amount of chicory in their diet and did show a reduction in parasites .It does not hurt to have it in your plots as deer love it.

Last edited by a moderator: