Iron sights for hunting?

trad1

Anybody hunt deer with iron sights instead of using a scope?If so whats your comfort range?What gun&load?I,m going to hunt with my Blackhawk .45colt with 5.5 barrel.Going to use 255gr. hardcast wadcutters.My range will be out to 40yds.Will be hunting from my natural groundblinds used for bow.

frankwright

It depends on a lot of things. Now that I am older I struggle with iron sights over about thirty yards. I have some special made shooting glasses that clear my sights up and I can extend that range out to fifty yards but most of the time my shots are fairly close.
85% of the time now I use a red dot or scope but sometimes will take my .41 mag Ruger Blackhawk out for a hunt, especially if I am in a tight are where the shot may be close.
Just do some target shooting and see how far you can keep all your shots in an acceptable sized group in a hunting situation, no bench rest, and that will be you right distance,

Larry Rooks

I don't use a scope on mine, Ruger BH with 4.5" barrel, also using 255 gr Keith type cast SWC, has never failed me on deer or hog. Range is limited to 50 yards, about like bow hunting
:clap: