Getting rid of wax myrtles and sweetgums

Ugahunter2013

I have an area that i will be clearing by hand in the near future. It is mostly broomsedge but there are wax myrtles and small sweet gums as well. There are also some various hardwood trees. The plan is to put a food plot there in a few years. What can i put on the cut stumps to kill them and keep them from sprouting new growth?

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I cleaned up a bunch of waxmyrtles a couple years ago behind my house. I had a spray bottle with about 70% roundup and 30% water in it. As soon as I cut it, soaked the stump down good- let that soak in a minute and hit it again. Worked good

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Glyphposate concentrate painted on the stumps or squirted from a spray bottle works very well, and is a lot less toxic and nasty than triclopyr. I've used it a lot over a couple decades of invasive exotic control on a large scale. We started out using triclopyr, but found that the glyphosate works just about as well. The key is to paint the stump immediately after cutting, don't let it dry. Be sure to coat the cambium layer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Glyphosate will not provide adaquate control of wax Myrtle.

I have no experience with wax myrtle specifically, so I'll defer to your experience. It works on most anything native or exotic I've encountered up here and in the SC Piedmont, but we don't have wax myrtle.

spencer12

I was under the impression that wax myrtles are somewhat beneficial to wildlife. Are they not? I've spared a many of them over the years for this reason. I thought I read that somewhere, that birds and things eat those little blue berries that grow on them.