old southern vegetable seeds

Killdee

We have always grew what’s called mountain white half runner beans, but a couple years ago I got a few stripped white half runners from a cousin that were handed down. Beans are green but the bean inside is brown and stripped. They are a heavy producer. Southern exposure seed exchange is a source that may not have been mentioned. They sell a Turkey craw bean that came from a hunter who found a bean in a turkey craw he had shot saved and planted it. Interesting story

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You old timers,do you remember names of corn,tomatoes,and peas that your families planted? I'm thinking that many varieties had local names,which would have been completely different in other places,yet were the same plants.

Ken, I have seed corn put up that has been passed down in my family since my Great Great Granddaddy Hiram Kirby Jr, over around Oak Park. Possibly longer but I know that far back for a fact. It`s a white field corn and I believe it is the Dent variety. It fed us and our stock. I plan on planting some this year and I will save you some select ears for starter seed for you and your folks.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Ken, I have seed corn put up that has been passed down in my family since my Great Great Granddaddy Hiram Kirby Jr, over around Oak Park. Possibly longer but I know that far back for a fact. It`s a white field corn and I believe it is the Dent variety. It fed us and our stock. I plan on planting some this year and I will save you some select ears for starter seed for you and your folks.

I would be honored to plant some,2 ears would be a gracious plenty. I'll have some other stuff for you,we'll have a nice visit then. Thanks Nic