Plant ID?

deerbuster

Clover or a weed? Planted crimson clover in thisnplot two years ago, didn’t see any growth that year so I decided to harrow and start over. Came back in to plant oats for this fall and saw this start to come up fairly thick. Did my clover germinate and I just didn’t see it or am I being too Hopefully and this is just a weed?

Attachments

• 775C1E9E-8BB6-4C37-80D3-41FDB2EBE442.jpg
    775C1E9E-8BB6-4C37-80D3-41FDB2EBE442.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 244
  • D32B9671-5C87-4A1E-8DBF-86AC5832A9DF.jpg
    D32B9671-5C87-4A1E-8DBF-86AC5832A9DF.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 242

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I'd say you've got clover!!!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like white clover, hard to say for sure, though from the pics. It could be crimson. It's definitely some species of clover.

deerbuster

Good deal!! I’m guessing we’d loose it if we turned the dirt for spring plots?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
White clover is very common weed that invades lawns and fallow land. It's very hard to kill once it's established, but I'd probably leave it alone instead of turning it. I'd rather have the clover than whatever the spring plot will be.

Canuck5

If it is mostly crimson clover, then you will see a flower that looks like this, probably in April, and at that point the deer usage will be going down and it would be ok to till it up and plant a summer plot. If you let it go to seed, you would end up with free seed. Tilling it up and you will get some free nitrogen, at the flowering stage.

Attachments

• crimson.JPG
    crimson.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 153

Canuck5

White clover is very common weed that invades lawns and fallow land. It's very hard to kill once it's established, but I'd probably leave it alone instead of turning it. I'd rather have the clover than whatever the spring plot will be.

^^^^^^^ If you were to heed NCHillbilly's advice and mix in a variety of white and medium red clovers, in the fall, you'd have close to a year round food plot and not require a summer planting.

Attachments

• Crude protein.JPG
    Crude protein.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Proudction of cool season crops.JPG
    Proudction of cool season crops.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 151

Canuck5

After I do nothing, but some weed wiping in the summer, this is what my medium red clover looked like in September of the following year. Deer were still using it daily.

Attachments

• Medium Red 9-16.jpg
    Medium Red 9-16.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Medium Red Clover 8-13-16.jpg
    Medium Red Clover 8-13-16.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 151

Canuck5

Your planting technique might be the only thing that needs to get tweaked.

deerbuster

We’ve got plans of planting ICP which should be around April. Would I benefit from broadcasting clover seed before or after planting ICPs?

Canuck5

Nope, plant your I&C cowpeas and then formulate a fall plan. Save your money on clover, till then.