Spring food plot

walters

Gonna plant something this spring for deer, what do u recommend, im in ne GA. ,The foothills not the mtns

shdw633

I think I am changing strategies this year as far as my spring/summer food plots. For years I have planted what I thought would be the best food for the deer only to either have drought or weeds take it away or the deer eating it to the dirt before it's tall enough to regenerate. They have so much other food available that this year I think I am going to plant millet in an attempt to provide some cover to keep the weeds down, protection for the fawns and possibly some green manure for the fall planting. If it comes in strong enough and tall enough I may even try to spray it in the fall, plant and the cut the millet to provide a covering for the new fall plants. I am in the southern part of the state but I am sure the principles are similar in the northern foothills, just planting at a later date. It's just a thought at this point....but a strong one due to the frustration from prior seasons. I should also point out that I year round feed the deer as well so it's not like I am going to be starving them during the spring/summer time frame.

walters

Thanks

I tried that same thing with growing corn a few years ago, and had the worse drought that year ever, so it went bad

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I planted a mixture of perrennial clover several years ago and haven't had to replant since.

southernman13

Sun hemp has worked well for us. Only thing actually that’s worked in summer plots. I planted fall plots around it. Left a few strips in the plot and the deer went to it like a magnet. I’ll do that again. Haven’t pulled soil samples yet to see how it improved the soil.

Gut_Pile

Did you plant foodplots this fall? Is so, what did you plant?

Elkbane

i planted spring oats and clover 2 weeks ago on about an acre in two locations. The oats were up (except for shady spots) last friday and the clover was just emerging. Had an area alongside a road that didn't germinate well last fall and decided to go ahead and see if I could get Durana and red clover going, with the oats as a nurse crop. Once I saw the soil temps hit 50 degrees, I went ahead and put it in - it's been rained on several times since planting.
Elkbane

For a spring plot, I like to use products that are easy to spray for summer weeds. Some of the "deer on the bag" mixes include species that are hard to spray without killing the corp species. I can keep broadleaf weeds out with 2,4 DB. I can spray Clethodim to terminate the oats and any grasses that emerge - and provide mulch for the clover once it gets warmer. Hopefully I'll be left with a decent clover crop.