Best mouse killer?

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
UPDATE.......those dang sticky traps DO NOT WORK in this cold weather because those dang rats actually will dance around on the device and look into my trail camera and laugh at me.

It is amazing that I bought this WGI Micro Red enhanced 6 Mp camera back in 2011 and it has been continued to work since then. I had posted some photos up above in this thread and they were somewhat darker. I checked the battery level and it was down to "one bar" so I changed the batteries and set it back up and the photos below are much brighter now and much easier to see.

I'm being serious too as I checked and saw foot prints all over this trap yesterday afternoon and then I looked at the latest photos last night after swapping out the cards. I need to put some "fresh" cheese on all of the Victor wooden traps today because they will KILL THEM ON THE SPOT !!!!! :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Attachments

• RATS #2     1-19-18 020.jpg
    RATS #2 1-19-18 020.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 272
  • RATS #2     1-19-18 021.jpg
    RATS #2 1-19-18 021.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

breathe in

i wonder with the cold weather if the glue is hardening up a little and not as sticky?

i get a cpl in my basement from time to time and use the victors. i've had different results with them. most get a quick death and look like they're sleeping. i had one that looked like isis took him out. skull was busted open, blood/brains everywhere. and i also went down once to check the trap and couldn't find it? found it over in the corner with rat still alive. shot him in the face with some snake shot.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
i wonder with the cold weather if the glue is hardening up a little and not as sticky?

i get a cpl in my basement from time to time and use the victors. i've had different results with them. most get a quick death and look like they're sleeping. i had one that looked like isis took him out. skull was busted open, blood/brains everywhere. and i also went down once to check the trap and couldn't find it? found it over in the corner with rat still alive. shot him in the face with some snake shot.

Yes, the cold weather is the problem on this sticky trap for sure as it is NOT tacky at all unfortunately. I had never used these kinds of traps before but I heard that they worked great....well I found out NOT in cold weather however. If you look close in the photo, I actually have the sticky trap and the Victor trap both fastened with the super small green wire that is used to make wreaths at Christmas time etc.

I currently have 4 different types of traps in these two storage buildings and plenty of bags of rat poison located in all four corners of each and also along the walls and close to the doors as well. I'm trying everything possible to eliminate any rats as such because I can't afford any damaged goods that could ultimately cost $3,500 up to over $8,000 caused by them. I've never had any problem until it got so dang cold recently either. The pest control people have doubled up on their actions as well and I surely hope that these rats are all dead and soon too.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I have an old barn cat who when she was younger would slap wear out the mice/rats if we had them around the house. With ag fields around us we usually had them outside.

She also took care of the moles and would catch 2-5 rabbits a year. She was just pure evil. She is now about 14 years old and on the decline. Got another big ol male barn cat that is maybe two years old and has taken up her slack except for the rabbits.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
The good news is that I checked both buildings late yesterday afternoon and I had caught two more rats in one building. One of them was on the "sticky trap" which worked perfectly since we had warmer weather over the weekend. The other rat was caught on one of the Victor traps with cheese for bait. That is five dead rats total now.

After talking with the pest control personnel, they advised that by using one of the "Slim Jim" sticks and cutting up a small 3/8" long piece in half and attaching it to the Victor style traps, rats seem to like the taste of it better than cheese. I took the cheese off of all of those traps and replaced it with the Slim-Jim bait instead. I hope that it works better as the cheese get hard and cold and apparently loses any taste and smell after a few days. I will know in a few days for sure.

bucktail

So nothing caught yet. 4 large snap traps have tripped bait eaten nothing caught. They're BIG rats. I saw one running away. I put a "walk the plank" type trap over a bucket of water. Nothing. I think they can grip on the plank. Coming to make a large, maybe trash can size, rolling log trap.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Also, don't pull the mouse off the glue trap with a pair of channel locks. It will leave their little feet on the board and your wife won't like it. Don't ask me how I know.

THE UPDATE AS OF THIS MORNING IS THAT I HAVE CAUGHT A TOTAL OF 6 RATS NOW. YESTERDAY, I CAUGHT ONE ON THE STICKY TRAP AND TODAY I ALSO CAUGHT ANOTHER ONE ON THE BRAND NEW STICKY TRAP THAT I HAD JUST INSTALLED LATE YESTERDAY AFTERNOON.

NCHILLBILLY IS RIGHT BECAUSE THIS MORNING WHEN I TOOK SEVERAL PAPER TOWELS AND A PAIR OF CHANNEL-LOCK PLIERS TO RIP IT OFF OF THIS TRAP...........WELL OOPS, THERE WAS NOTHING LEFT AFTER THAT SO I WILL HAVE TO REPLACE THIS STICKY TRAP AGAIN. THE GOOD THING IS THEY ONLY COST $.50 EACH !!!!

I DID PROCESS ANOTHER SHIPMENT OF GOODS TODAY AND I PUT IT BACK INTO THE STORAGE ROOM FOR HOPEFULLY AN ORDER SOON FOR DELIVERY TO MY CUSTOMER. SO FOR NOW, I WILL CONTINUE CHECKING THE TWO STORAGE AREAS ON A DAILY BASIS. :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe :shoot::shoot::shoot:

bucktail

Update. Finally caught one. Big snap traps didn't work. Guess they got out and stole the bait. My bucket trap didn't work. Really think it was bad design on my part. Went and bought the Ratinator. Caught my first one today! Big one! Reset and go.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
UPDATE AS OF THIS AFTERNOON -

I have caught 11 rats as of this afternoon. I have found that these dang rats have become very creative in maneuvering through a maze of various types of traps and poisons etc. I have raised the stakes in making sure that I catch these pests. I actually have multiple wooden Victor traps that I have baited with P-nut butter, Slim-Jims (recommended by the pest control people), and cheese. (They do NOT like Slim-Jims either). I also have multiple "Sticky Traps in place, also bags of rats poison, one larger black container with the several bars of rat poison baited inside of it placed in each storage unit, and also smaller bars of rat poison located in corners , and I even built one of the "Rolling Traps" (with 6" of water in it) that someone told me about recently. (Apparently, the rats don't like Mountain Dew either). All of these various traps etc are positioned throughout the areas as well.

When I mentioned educated rats, look at the first photo below of one rat that is tip-toeing across the edge of 3 sticky traps and one victor trap w/p-nut butter that were meant to seal off a corner area entirely BUT this rat makes it right past the 3 sticky traps that are placed edge to edge up against each other. The second photo shows the "Rolling Trap" (with 6" of water in it) which has not been in place but a few days and it has not caught anything yet. If you look in that photo, you can also see a victor trap on the floor behind it and that is where the rat was caught today that I didn't take a photo of. The last photo is of a rat killed in the victor trap w/p-nut butter last Friday afternoon.

Attachments

• RATS  #2   2-4-18 008.jpg
    RATS #2 2-4-18 008.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 96
  • ROLLING RAT TRAP  2-3-18 001.jpg
    ROLLING RAT TRAP 2-3-18 001.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DEAD RAT  2-6-18 002.jpg
    DEAD RAT 2-6-18 002.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Well I checked the traps about an hour ago and I had caught another rat in a Victor trap that changed from the p-nut butter as I baited it with cheese yesterday afternoon. This trap was set right beside three of the sticky traps in trying to block off the corner area.

That makes 12 DEAD RATS now and I'm getting happier each day in hopes that this catching keeps up and I will be glad when I catch every one of these rodents.

Jack Ryan

I never had any luck with those bucket traps and putting up a ramp like that.

I started catching when I set the bucket NEXT to something they were climbing on any way and they just get of it and get after the bucket. St the end of the roller toward what they will get off from like it is a pipe they can just crawl right out on. If you leave an inch or so gap they have to step across then they have to commit to going on it and can't just test it to see if it is "steady". I've caught a lot of mice with the bucket setting next to a hay bale in the corner of a barn.

I also like to use a piece of dog food instead of peanut butter.

You can hot glue it down on the trigger of a trap or on to those cans. It doesn't mold or go bad near as fast as those other baits and with the high protein, they can't resist it. Cat food might be even better but I don't have any cats. Cat food is higher protein than dog food.

I think those sticky traps are a waste of time for rats or mice. They only catch the dumbest 2%.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Jack,
After somebody showed me the video of the rolling trap, I decided to fix one as it was rally cheap to do. Well, the rats have stayed away from the ramp and the trap overall. I do think that it might work IF I could position it in a different angle to the one corner that seems so active but I just don't have enough clearance to put it there and be able to close the door. :banginghe

I have caught 5 of these rats on the sticky traps so far and the other 7 on the victor traps. However, these dang rats have obviously gotten smarter recently. I don't have any pets so I don't have any dog or cat food as such but that does sound interesting of gluing it down as such.

crackerdave

Man versus Ratz.
I think the rats,roaches,and other varmints will prevail in the end.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
The Good News is that yesterday, I caught the 13th rat. Slowly but surely, I am thinning the herd!!!!!! Caught this one on a sticky trap.

I think the likely captions on these three photos below should be as follows:

Photo #0087: I'm Stuck and I can't get up !!!!!

Photo #0088: Lights Out with a hammer !!!!! (I found a good use of the cardboard core of paper towels and a hammer.)

Photo #0089: Another One bites the dust !!!!!

Attachments

• RATS # 4    2-12-18 086.jpg
    RATS # 4 2-12-18 086.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
  • RATS # 4    2-12-18 087.jpg
    RATS # 4 2-12-18 087.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 19
  • RATS # 4    2-12-18 088.jpg
    RATS # 4 2-12-18 088.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 19