Beartooth Plateau, Montana

zacherwalker

Wondering if anyone has ever fished up there..? I was looking to take a two week backpacking trip this summer and I'm thinking this is where Ill be heading supposedly one of the best fisheries in the nation

jw14

the fishing up there can be unbelievably good but it can be a little rough too. If you do two weeks you will without a doubt find good fishing especially if the lakes have just thawed. I have family in Red Lodge and have caught many fish up there including some 20-plus inch fish. Awesome place and some of the prettiest scenery you'll ever see. Even if the fishing isn't great you'll have a great time

Dean

Mt

I have hiked/fished MT& WY for the past 20 years.....as you will soon discover there is more water to fish than you can cover in a lifetime. Really it depends on what you want to do and maybe more importanly what you are able to do in terms of hiking. There are lakes that require short hikes and of course those that require much longer hikes. But coming from GA any hike that has any elevation gain can be challenging due to the altitude difference. Been VERY prepared for mosiquotes and biting flies...headnets and long sleeves and DEET if you use it. Even in mid summer, temps can drop to 20's at night with 50 degree temp swing in afternoon. Rain, thunderstorms, hail, snow, high winds can happen at anytime. If you are going to fish lakes I would recommend a float tube. Also keep in mind that lake fishing can be really good or really slow - depending on time of year and water temp. Wind and pop up storms can be a challange too. Some lakes are publically noted as "fishless" due to lake depth, others are VERY deep. Some "fishless" lakes due hold good trout....

Are you flyfishing or spin fishing? Do you want to hike/climb to lakes or fish lakes close to BT Hwy? Keep in mind there is a ton of stream/river fishing outside YNP in the area as well. There is some stream fishing at inlets/outlets.

Let us know a few more specifics about what you want to do.

Fishing the Beartooths is a good source book. There are also some updated stocking reports for lakes that can be found online. You can fish for Goldens, Brookies, Cutt's, Rainbows, Grayling and of course hybrids such as Golden Bows etc.

If you haven't been before, be prepared to have a life changing experince...truly an awesome place. Keep in mind, it is also unforgiving for those that are not prepared. Do your homework and be prepared.

zacherwalker

Thanks dean i was looking for a guide book! but I plan on doing some backcountry fly fishing probably hike a couple days to try to get to some remote spots actually up in the plateau I've read that there are a ton of small streams and little holes up there that hold some magnificent trout.

But I'm a pretty experienced ultra-light hiker so the altitude and elevation don't bother me much but I have heard the weather can get quite rough luckily ill always keep my bivy in the pack but I'm thinking maybe getting a backpacking tent just incase the weather does go south I will be able to wait it out int he comfort of a tent not in a little bivy.

Dean

Beartooths

Pick up a copy of the Pat Marcuson Fishing Beartooths for sure. There are several Hiking the Beartooths books as well. Of course get the USGS quad /topo maps that cover the Beartooths. Search Google for other internet resources and posts from other about their trips.

You didn't mention the time of year you planned on going, but watch the snow pack reports too. Last year the Pass opening was delayed due to heavy snow pack and actually when we were there in late July last year there was still alot of snow - more than we had seen up there that late in about 20 years.

One of the coolest things I have seen camping at just above 10,000' up on the Plateau near a couple small brookie lakes was a Moon Bow. It was a full moon, probably 11pm after a rain storm moved thru. Once the rain clouds above us moved, you could see a full rainbow by the full moon. Incredible. If you spend alittle time enjoying the stars (incredible as well) you can see hundreds of shooting stars in a trip.

zacherwalker

thanks everyone for your help! yeah I am definitely looking into it more though then I was at first when the idea came to mind about going up there...hopefully I can get a go at it this summer though probably mid june or july

westcobbdog

Doenightmare and i wandered that area trout fishing for 8 days a few years back. Lots of good remarks posted above. Bear spray is good because you will be alone in some very remote country. Don't try wading across the swift and deep Madison River,either! I think where it drains from Earthquake lake is very beautiful and very rugged country.
At dusk its fun to drive around spotting wildlife after a long day fishing. We were 100% spin fishing w/ panther martin, gold blade, black body, yellow dots and caught and released a lot of fish. Runoff and temps are huge factors, have fun.

Todd71673

Blue Ribbon is good, but Tim Wade's NorthFork Anglers in downtown Cody is better as far as reports in the Beartooths. And pick up some Northfork Specials, they work good in the Hooch too. Sounds like Westcobbdog picked the worst part of "50 mile riffle" to try to wade, usually 99% of the madison is very wader friendly! But he is right, from Quake down to Kelly's Slide Inn its very steep and fast I wouldn't wade there even in the lowest water. Sounds like your gonna be on the NE side anyway. I've guided all over both sides, feel free to pick my brain.

Latest posts