Have you ever contemplated the end...

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
That's the one ! Hope you can find one and get back to shooting.

Keep us posted.

This will get me shooting again, no doubt.

I need to figure out how to adapt one to hunting.

Clothing/conditions changing, etc.

Thanks.

BowArrow

I turned 80 Jan. 18 and bow hunted several times a week. Hunt by myself which I know is not good but got to go. I also climb 20 feet up in my Summit. I tell the lady I date the general area I will be hunting and tell her if she has not heard from me in 3 or 4 days to come looking. Have bow hunted since 1966 and know I do not have many years left in me but will go until I can not draw my PSE. I do some extreme exercising which helps. Did 97 push ups on my 80 birthday although I did not do any during deer season. Got to get back in shape. Also have started hog hunting at Fort Stewart and sometimes camp at the FS campground.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I turned 80 Jan. 18 and bow hunted several times a week. Hunt by myself which I know is not good but got to go. I also climb 20 feet up in my Summit. I tell the lady I date the general area I will be hunting and tell her if she has not heard from me in 3 or 4 days to come looking. Have bow hunted since 1966 and know I do not have many years left in me but will go until I can not draw my PSE. I do some extreme exercising which helps. Did 97 push ups on my 80 birthday although I did not do any during deer season. Got to get back in shape. Also have started hog hunting at Fort Stewart and sometimes camp at the FS campground.

keep on keeping on old fella....we appreciate you for it

Dirtroad Johnson

That's amazing, Congratulations. :cheers:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz

I hope you can revisit this thread in 20 years and say you're still at it.
:cool::cool:

I wish I had listened to my elders 40 years ago when they tried to tell me hands weren't meant to be hammers.

Permitchaser

I'll be 70 next birthday. Swim long distance 3 times a week. Work out with weights 3 times a week. As long as that slight tear in my rotator doesn't get any worse I'll still bow hunt by myself in my climber

Dirtroad Johnson

I'll be 70 next birthday. Swim long distance 3 times a week. Work out with weights 3 times a week. As long as that slight tear in my rotator doesn't get any worse I'll still bow hunt by myself in my climber

Congrats, I'm trying to get motivated to get in more exercise & drop about 10 lbs. but I keep dropping by Paymaster's Cafe & it ain't easy. :D

Permitchaser

Congrats, I'm trying to get motivated to get in more exercise & drop about 10 lbs. but I keep dropping by Paymaster's Cafe & it ain't easy. :D

When I first got back to swimming over 10 years ago. I couldn't swim 25 yards without resting for 15 minutes. Now I get bored I can swim so far without getting tired
I started free weights when I was 45 to help with bone density
Start small and work your way up
Or get the book Zero Belly Smoothie. If you do what he says you'll lose 10 in a few weeks
Good luck

satchmo

I am in the low pound club now too. Until 2014 I was shooting 60 62 pounds. I had pretty invasive surgery that removed most of my lower jaw. After about four months at home I tried to draw @ 58 pounds and it may as well of been 200 pounds. I could almost pull 30 pounds and worked my way up to 54 pounds. I can't ever see any reason to shoot more than this in my life. My wife shoots 43 pounds and I can't imagine there's anything on this continent she couldn't kill with her set up.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I hope you can figure a way to use a compound again. But if not be proud to get to keep at it with a crossbow.
Just get well for now.

Mark R

Yall don't give it up yet . Just being out there is enough for me sometime . Check out those new air bows . Air rifle launching an arrow . Coming soon to the woods near you .

Dub

Very sorry it has come to that.

It was a few years ago for me.

Right shoulder is toast and needs to be replaced. Disc surgery last year that I’m r covering from, too.

A buddy keeps trying to get me to try out a crossbow. I just can’t see it.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Bow hunted since the late 60's. Gave it up in 2015. I did buy a crossbow, but for me, it is not the same. I still go during bow season but use the time to scout or tinker with camp projects. I'm fine with it. Nothing lasts forever.

Bubba_1122

I injured my neck helping some folks clean up downed trees after Irma. Had been practicing heavily with my bow all summer. After injury I couldn't pull bow back 1/4" (bow set at 64 pounds).

Had neck surgery the week of Thanksgiving. The doc fused three vertebrae together. Got screws and a plate in there, along with some cadaver bone.

That's been 7 1/2 months ago. Managed to turkey hunt (and kill a very nice turkey) this spring by just thinking through it. Got a Bog Pod and strapped a 410 shooting TSS to it. Just wasn't able to take the recoil of shoulder mounting. Had an awesome turkey season - mostly focused on carrying other folks.

Last doc visit in May was released and told to be smart. Was released 2 weeks later from physical therapy.

Have been fishing at the coast the past couple of months. Last week got into bull reds at the cut at St George Island. That was a real test, as I haven't regained my strength.Was as much fun as I've had in a long time, though.

Tonite, for the first time since Sept 13, I pulled out my bow and tried to draw it. Took EVERYTHING I had, but finally got a full draw. Did it again for my wife to see (but that was it). Was no pain - just no strength.

Don't know that I'll ever bow hunt again. Physical therapist told me that the torque the bow places on my back/neck isn't a good thing. Still, I enjoy shooting a bow.

Might have bow draw weight reduced some more and see if can get where I can shoot it comfortably. If not, that'll do me for bow hunting (I can't stand a crossbow).

If I can't get the bow thing working then early fall will become about fishing for me.

Last edited:

Knez25

Good info. Thanks.

Found this. Looks like a good starting point.
I'll see if I can find one.