First timer help

southgabowhunter

Hey everyone. I'll be in Asheville NC the second week of June for a few days for meetings and one of the days is a free day. While most people choose to golf, i'd rather go stretch a line. I'll be with my dad who has never fly fished but is open to the idea, so for that reason does anyone have any recommendations around Asheville for a rookie? I have fished quite a bit further west of there but not sure if those are the right places to take a beginner. If anyone knows of any guiding services up there, particularly private water, please let me know. I figure the best way to get someone addicted to fly fishing is to let them catch some fat doughbellies! Thank you

Tentwing

There used to be a shop in Asheville called Hunter Banks Outfitters that offered guided trips. I haven't been to Asheville in some time , so I'm not certain if it's still there?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin Howell at Davidson River Outfitters in Brevard can hook you up with some private water full of hawgs.

The delayed harvest waters will be opened up by then, or they would be a good place to take him.

Or you can look up the stocking schedule at NCWildlife.org and find a creek that they're dumping full of doughbellies that week.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There used to be a shop in Asheville called Hunter Banks Outfitters that offered guided trips. I haven't been to Asheville in some time , so I'm not certain if it's still there?

It's still there. Good folks. I buy a lot of fly-tying supplies there. They have one in Waynesville now, too.