Looking for new nursery - Fruit trees

bhouston

All,

I am looking to get some pear, apple and persimmon trees (around 25 - 40 trees total) for 2018 planting. My old source is no longer available. I am in Johnson county and closer is better. I already buy from WLG, Willis and Ison.

Any suggestions..??

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
All,

I am looking to get some pear, apple and persimmon trees (around 25 - 40 trees total) for 2018 planting. My old source is no longer available. I am in Johnson county and closer is better. I already buy from WLG, Willis and Ison.

Any suggestions..??

Hard to beat those three!
Never bought from TYTY

Last edited:

Coop

Bass Pecan has those trees but the trick is making sure they have them in the small containers that will ship UPS, otherwise the freight will kill you. When I tried earlier this year they were out of the grafted persimmons in the mini container. I have many pear and apple from Willis in my own Johnson Cty plot right now and they really are hard to beat. Thought TyTy might be a little high but if you could pick up it might save the freight - don't know anyone who uses them.

bhouston

TyTy

So, for those that have been here for more than 5 years will remember the REALLY BAD reviews on TyTy. They closed down for awhile and then reopened. Anyone know anything about the "new" Tyty...?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
So, for those that have been here for more than 5 years will remember the REALLY BAD reviews on TyTy. They closed down for awhile and then reopened. Anyone know anything about the "new" Tyty...?

Google them and then decide.

bhouston

Crakjack, I did and they have multiple bad reviews and 38 complaints on BBB website. The general public can be unreliable on business reviews - but I think opinions on this board (if any) are more trustworthy.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Crakjack, I did and they have multiple bad reviews and 38 complaints on BBB website. The general public can be unreliable on business reviews - but I think opinions on this board (if any) are more trustworthy.

Based on reviews, I would only want to drive over there and pick stuff up in person. I would not order anything.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

I have never bought from them.Wildlife group,Willis, Isons
Is who I bought from.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to beat Ison's.

USMC0844

I pre ordered mine bare root from raintree nursery. They'll be shipped in April but I watched a few YouTube reviews on "unboxing" their shipments and everything appeared well taken care of.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Having a bad review is expected from time to time,however if the same complaint are in the reviews then that might indicate an issue. Reporting an issue to the BBB is a very unhappy customer.

doomtrpr_z71

Tyty is not somewhere you should buy anything, regardless if you go in person or order online. I would not even take free stuff from them.

Last edited:

Forest Grump

Tyty is not somewhere you should buy anything, regardless if you go in person or order online. I would not even take free stuff from them.

Agreed.

Hallman Farms in SC sells a good set of wildlife trees that are self-fertile, small fruited, disease resistant & hunter oriented. I ordered from them this fall & got excellent trees, shipped promptly in fine condition. I was pleased with the experience & would order again.

http://www.hallmanfarms.com

I have come to the conclusion over the years that small, bite-sized fruit, + self-fertile trees with disease resistance are the way to go for deer. Pick ones that fruit when you hunt. Think of fruit trees more as an attractant to hunt over than a food source (ie: I can raise a lot more year-round food with an acre of plot than an acre of trees; but my orchard floor is a clover/chicory plot that provides food when the trees do not).

bhouston

So, I have been buying from Hallman since 2015 - but had a hiccup with them this year. That is why I was looking elsewhere. Decided to go back to Hallman and bought about 40 of their pears. They used to grow for Edward Fort and have many of the varieties sold by EF. Got my trees shipped last Friday and they were in excellent shape when received. Speak to Janice or Benny - excellent customer service..!! Great product.

westcobbdog

It's hard to beat Ison's.

We planted some Ison's trees 7 or so years ago and they are nearly all dead, including things like the fruit cocktail and various pear trees. Just saw them up close yesterday. An apple tree or two still live but they really have not produced anything.

GADawg08

Yardmaster in Swainsboro (Emanuel County) should be close to you. I just bought some kieffer pear trees and a few persimmons from them. They have several different varieties

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We planted some Ison's trees 7 or so years ago and they are nearly all dead, including things like the fruit cocktail and various pear trees. Just saw them up close yesterday. An apple tree or two still live but they really have not produced anything.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them over the years, and always got good plants and good service, even with having them mailed to NC-as long as I planted and took care of them right. Fireblight has been rough on pear and various other Rosaceous trees the last few years, we had a bunch of mature pears die completely out.

Latest posts