On religion and spiritual development.

gordon 2

"In the short run it is more comfortable not to do this( to develop a broader vision***)-- to stay where we are, to keep using the same microcosmic map, to avoid suffering the death of cherished notions. The road of spiritual growth, however, lies in the opposite direction. We begin by distrusting what we already believe by seeking the threathening and unfimiliar, buy deliberately challenging the validity of what we have previously been taught and hold dear. The Path to holiness lies trough questioning everything". M. Scott Peck, M.D. The Road Less Travelled.

(***) my resume of what came before and in my words.

DavidB

Maybe so, but pray you at least have the wisdom to recognize the right answer when it presents itself to you.

There is an old saying " If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there".

If by "cherished notions" you are referring to man's traditions, then I would agree totally with your point. If, however, you are talking about the foundations of man's Judeo-Christian values then I would disagree.
Every person goes through life trusting and placing faith in various things. If we were required to understand everything around us before accepting them, we, as a species would cease to advance in anything.

I may not know exactly how a cell phone works, but that doesn't keep me from using one, for example.

I'm not saying questioning things is bad, but like everything in life, there is a danger in taking anything to extreme.

1gr8bldr

I agree with the context of what you are saying. Some just believe what they are taught, which I see as a weak foundation. Others learn for themselves, creating a foundation to build upon

pbradley

"In the short run it is more comfortable not to do this( to develop a broader vision***)-- to stay where we are, to keep using the same microcosmic map, to avoid suffering the death of cherished notions. The road of spiritual growth, however, lies in the opposite direction. We begin by distrusting what we already believe by seeking the threathening and unfimiliar, buy deliberately challenging the validity of what we have previously been taught and hold dear. The Path to holiness lies trough questioning everything". M. Scott Peck, M.D. The Road Less Travelled.

(***) my resume of what came before and in my words.

Acts 17: 10-12 (NIV)

10 - As soon as it was night, the brothers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue.

11 - Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

12 - Many of the Jews believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men.

The Bereans liked what Paul had to say, but they tested his words against the scriptures before accepting it.