Unicoi Archery Venue " Outdoor Adventure Day at Unicoi State Park"

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
We have the opportunity to help out with GA DNR's Outdoor Adventure Day at Unicoi State Park again this year on Sept 27, 2014. TBG has hosted the archery venue since the inception of the Unicoi event. We will be giving hundreds of participants the opportunity to shoot a bow, some for the first time. We have bows in the TBG trailers that will let anyone from about three all the way to adults have a chance to shoot and enjoy the bow. We really need more volunteers at all of our events but this one takes a lot of help as we have had in excess of a thousand people (shooting six arrows) each in a day. Please seriously consider helping us out this year and be prepared to have a great time with everyone. As soon as the starting times are released to me I will pass them on. Historically it has been from 9am till 3pm. This is a great event to bring the family to. I look forward to hear from you. Thanks in advance
Jeff Roberts

TNGIRL

planning on it.....

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

oldfella1962

Do they have traditional bows for the people to shoot?
It's all I have experience with.

Jake Allen

Do they have traditional bows for the people to shoot?
It's all I have experience with.

Yes sir; recurves and longbows.
We, The Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia supply all of the bows, arrows, targets, safety equipment and people to set up, and run the Archery parts of Outdoor Adventure Day.
It is a good day, good tim and a wonderful cause.
It is one of those days where you get more, than you give. We would love to have you there to help. :cool:

Jake Allen

Words from Joel Smith; (a few year's back, but ring true today)
"This event is the Kid's Outdoor Adventure Day held every National Hunting and Fishing Day at Unicoi State Park right outside Helen, Georgia. It is put on by the DNR with the help of sponsors like the Weatherby Foundation to give kids (and their parents) a chance to learn the fun of outdoor activies like archery, shotgun shooting, canoeing, trout fishing, etc.

For several years now TBG has set up and run the archery part of this experience for the DNR. We will have between 900 and 1200 kids there and most of them will want to try shooting a bow. We usually set up 12 targets and lanes and most of the day we will have a line of around 30-40 kids waiting to shoot, many will shoot and immediately get back in line. It's a tremendous chance for us to spread the message of the fun and simplicity of traditional archery to a lot of kids and parents in one day. We also have a rare opportunity to show the public that bowhunters are not the awful sadists that the anti-hunting crowd wants them to believe.

The work itself is pure pleasure, helping willing children shoot what for some of them is their first arrow from a bow. You get a chance to give each of these children a gift that will introduce many of them to a sport they may not have been exposed to any other way. Many of the kids and parents tell us every year that our venue was the most fun they had all day and quite a few ask questions about getting into archery and where to get equipment.

The hard part is having enough people to run an operation like this without wearing everybody to a frazzle. Because of the sheer numbers of kids wanting to do this, we have to have a lot of lanes open to keep the line moving and waits from being too long.

As I said earlier we try to keep twelve lanes running and that takes one person minimum for each lane plus we have to have someone keeping the line in order and matching the kids with tackle that is at least close to their size and strength. We have to have at least afew people to relieve the other workers for lunches, bathroom breaks, etc.

Bottom line we really need at least 15 or 16 people willing to give up just one day that can change some kids whole life."

This is a good deal.

We will start set up at 9am. The event starts at 10 and goes to 4.
Follow the signs into the Unicoi park and on to the registration table.
Jeff Roberts will turn in everyone's name for free admission to the park, (tell the Ranger at the gate), and lunch.
Bring a chair for breaks, and something cool to drink, (water or such).

some pictures of years back:

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 418
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 447
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 456
  • for.jpg
    for.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 416
  • five.jpg
    five.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 431
  • six.jpg
    six.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 426
  • seven.jpg
    seven.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 414
  • eight.jpg
    eight.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 428
  • nine.jpg
    nine.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 423
  • ten.jpg
    ten.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 450
  • eleven.jpg
    eleven.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 430
  • twelve.jpg
    twelve.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 440
  • last.jpg
    last.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 435

PAPALAPIN

Gonna try to make it this year

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It has been on my calendar since last year. Health permitting, I will be there. It is a long day, but watching the smiles on those kids faces makes it a very special time.

SWbowhunter

Jeff,
Thank you all for helping with this event again. If there is anything you guys (and gals) need, please let me know. I am going to try to clear that bank to make finding arrows easier. I also had 2 porta potties moved much closer to the archery venue, in case we have problems with the laundry restroom again. Here is my email kevin.lowrey@dnr.state.ga.us Let me know if you think of anything that will make your day at Unicoi better. Thanks.

pine nut

Count me in please, as I will be able to help out. This is the most fun you can have and still call it "working"!!

Jake Allen

Count me in please, as I will be able to help out. This is the most fun you can have and still call it "working"!!

Will do sir; thank you. Gonna be a fun day.

TNGIRL

Looking forward to it...
BTW Kevin, it will be great to clean that hill off....the poison ivy was kinda thick!!!!!:banginghe see you soon!!!!!:bounce:

johnweaver

Would love to go but I have to teach a 10hr Georgia Hunter Education class that day, the first Saturday class in Paulding County history. I'm hoping we don't make a habit out of this. Have fun folks!

Last edited: