Reality check

Todd Cook

I read an old thread yesterday about your real effective distance and how to determine it. So this afternoon I decided to test myself. You read a lot of threads about effective distance, and you hear lots of 20 yards, 22 yards, 25 yards, ect.

So I went down to the woods behind my house and set up a deer target. I had grass and limbs in the lane, but had a clear shot at the vitals. Also, I was standing on a hill, so I had to adjust for the shot. Tried to make it realistic.

I decided "my" kill zone would be anything from the edge of the shoulder to 4 inches behind the 10 ring. Up and down would be 2 inches above the ten to the edge of the 8 ring on the bottom. This leaves out about half of the eight ring, but I've shot enough of them to know that way back or way high are way bad!

I went out cold and started scoring from the first shot, no warm up. 10 yards, bang, right in the soft spot.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 242

Todd Cook

That little stick is my aim point on a real deer. For this test I aimed at the middle of the 10. Anyway, 12 yards, bang, 14 yards, bang.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 245

Todd Cook

16 yards, still good. I was shooting 3 arrows at each distance.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 244

Todd Cook

Feeling pretty good at this point, thinking 20 will be easy money. Wrong. This is 18 then 20. Not good.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 251

Todd Cook

I shot some more at 18, 20, and 22. Same results. One in the kill, and one out. I don't think any were out of the 8, but a couple were right on the line. High 8's are bad news on real deer. Bottom line: past 16 yards my groups open up . Fact.

I've always thought my " range " was 22 or so, but this was an eye opener. I didn't have a great or horrible day shooting, but pretty good for me. My release felt good, I held till I wanted to shoot.

Test equipment was: 64" R/D longbow, 56# at 29". 70-75 fir arrows. EFA bow quiver.

So I guess the back of my effective range is 16 yards. I think I can live with that.

Barry Duggan

Are you going to climb a tree and try it?

BigJim Bow

Everyone is different and that is for sure. I do believe most exaggerate there effective range at least a little.

I believe effective range changes with confidence level. If you are feeling confident, that is paramount. If not, 10 yards can feel like a mile.
I find that if I listen to my little voice (he's an active joker too), I do pretty well. If it doesn't feel right, it usually isn't ...but when it does, look out!

Barry, do you find it more difficult shooting from a tree? I personally find it to be the same or easier but do like to practice it from time to time.

Bigjim

Barry Duggan

Aim low...when in a tree, aim lower.
Jim, I always find it easier to shoot standing, flatfooted, on the ground. For me, it's harder to get to full draw, while up a tree, bent at the waist.

Last edited:

oldfella1962

I'd say 16 yards is prett realistic.
I shoot a 38" recurve so even if I could shoot farther than that accurately my penetration and velocity might suffer.
I'd say 12 is my limit in a real world situation.

charlie 2 arrow

In a tree, I aim low, and cant my bow. This seems to help with the hitting high @ steep angles, plus helps avoid the rail when in a climber.

oldfella1962

I missed a deer when I was a teen at seven yards from the ground in a corn field - but I was WAY overbowed with my dad's recurve.
My sole purpose this year is to get another similar shot (minus the cornfield but still hunting from the ground) with a bow I can handle with no problem. It was such a "gimme" shot you wouldn't believe it. Will I ever get that easy a shot again with the high-strung heavily hunted deer we have in The South? Every day hunting is another chance to find out.

Apex Predator

My average trad kill is 14 yards. I've killed out farther, but prolly shouldn't have been shooting that far.

SELFBOW

I missed a deer when I was a teen at seven yards from the ground in a corn field - but I was WAY overbowed with my dad's recurve.
My sole purpose this year is to get another similar shot (minus the cornfield but still hunting from the ground) with a bow I can handle with no problem. It was such a "gimme" shot you wouldn't believe it. Will I ever get that easy a shot again with the high-strung heavily hunted deer we have in The South? Every day hunting is another chance to find out.

I missed a doe and numerous pigs now under 10 yds on the ground. Its crazy.

Barry Duggan

I've heard you say " gimme some of them pickles " before...

Not referring to that kinda gimme Martin, but now that you mention it, that didn't turn out good either. They turned into savory pickles, as in, you can save them for somebody, cause I don't want one anymore. Best I recall, you didn't either.:bounce:

Do know a little about a shuddabeena, as it relates to a gimme.

Todd Cook

Are you going to climb a tree and try it?

I think I will. I never have had much trouble switching back and forth. I can shoot equally bad either place.

Truthfully, I don't aim any different out of a tree. I usually lean into my harness, and it sort of helps me get steady.

Oh, and I heard about those savory pickles. Don't think I want any of those either.

RonsPlc

The hard part is getting the tree to walk back the yardages so you can find your effective range!

robert carter

I never worry about how far. If the switch flips I shoot. If it don`t I try and get closer. I`ve probably killed less than ten critters over 20 yards . Probably 90% at under 15.RC