Bloody scouting trip...

robert carter

Headed over to a local WMA today for some scouting for deer. I planned to check a whole bunch of persimmon trees as well as look for some dropping muscadines. The persimmons were a hopefull but I`ve not seen any muscadines this year that made but a fella has to look. I also had plans for a pig if I managed to run across one .

I drove to a spot I`ve hunted before and headed in the swamp to some persimmon trees I found a couple years ago.They were so loaded that some of the limbs were breaking out.Not dropping yet but should be on fire by Mid to late September...

I did find a group of trees that were covered in muscadine vines and pouring. It smelled like someone poured out a bucketfull of wine here. Maybe it will hold on until deer season but probably will be fell out by then. If the season was in I believe I would have got a shot here this evening...

photo IMG_0567_zps5b8e2d9e.jpg

photo IMG_0565_zpsd9ddffa5.jpg

I wandered around the swamp for a while walking in fressh pig sign most of the time. Came across several photo op`s and decided to take them..

photo IMG_0552_zps3a21774b.jpg

photo IMG_0563_zps8f47af04.jpg

photo IMG_0548_zps7e1e747f.jpg

Made my way on down to the River and kicked back to rest the legs. These snake boots are heavy...

photo IMG_0562_zpsc4874ea6.jpg

This is one of two I almost stepped on. The other was a black racer and did not hang around.

photo IMG_0564_zps7e4678dd.jpg

I circled a big thicket/old cutover and got the wind and started back along the river on an old logging road and looked ahead a spotted some movement...whoaaaa now...

photo IMG_0572_zps8bf44536.jpg

I got the wind andbroke off to the left and put the Bookhart sneak on`m. I managed to Injun up to 7 yards and made a good shot. The Sow went maybe 25 yards after the shot.. Boned out and in a cooler of Ice in less than an hour. Not bad for a shade over a mile in...Thank you Lord.RC

photo IMG_0588_zps8c1c3dde.jpg

photo IMG_0585_zps55752348.jpg

Barry Duggan

Critters are going to be in trouble when you actually start hunting ... instead of scouting. Good stuff.

SELFBOW

Man she is a big un! Wish I could luck out on a scouting trip like that. I know you enjoyed the whole day and thanks for the story and pics ....

robert carter

Thanks guys. she was a long hog and the fattest summer pig I`ve ever killed. ...also she was the smallest of the two. I had to drive to the boat ramp on the place and flop around a bit to cool off.RC

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good hunt, RC. Enjoyed the story a lot.

Al33

You come up with the best stories and pictorials. Love it, and congratulations again RC! :cool:

Hankus

good trip hoss

oldfella1962

My scouting trip yesterday (with binoculars to look for acorns) was a bust. Maybe a dozen muscadines in five hours of walking among acres and acres of vines of all ages.
White oak acorns were virtually zero. :crazy:
Persimmon trees are loaded. Because it was almost 100 degrees and I wasn't going to be crossing water, I wore tennis shoes with jeans. Never had a problem all year even wearing shorts except a few chiggers and ticks.
Long story short I just got back from the Fort Gordon hospital (I'm retired military) where the chiggers on steroids set up their camp from the tops of my feet to my crotch! :cry:
I got three types of drugs and creams.

Clipper

Judging from the before and after pictures, the only cover you had was knee high grass. Were you crawling on your hands and knees or belly? If so, you have my respect and admiration. It would be my luck to crawl up face to face with a venomous snake.