Apoquel

Derek

My 1.5 yr old lab has been having some reoccuring skin issues....flakey/itchy skin, red spots, and a little hair falling out. Vet is suggesting putting her on apoquel. I've read good and bad....do any of you have any experience with it. Plus its crazy expensive. We've been feeding her grain free Victor food....not sure there is anything better to try.

Water Swat

On a serious note. Not all allergies for dogs are food allergies. Changing foods doesnt always help. Go to uga and do some allergy tests.

Check out jaxndaisy.com. They have shampoo and lotion that are antifungal and antibacterial. Just got some but too early to tell how good it works.

jmharris23

I had a yellow lab that had skin issues late in her life and the vet suggested Apoquel but when he told me the price I couldn't go for it. He wound up giving her a shot that stops the itching by blocking receptors for about 3 months. The shot was around 90 bucks which averaged out to about 30 bucks a month versus 120. It worked well but I can't remember the name of it!

jmharris23

Apoquel also seems to have some fairly nasty long term affects on the dogs immune system