Good Fishing for small kayak

pkpip

New to GA. Came here for some suggestions on places to take a small kayak. I went to Balus Creek Friday and didn't do so well. Was looking at northern Chattahoochee near Don Carter State Park? I've been to Ft. Yargo and had some success on large mouth. I live right on the south side of Lanier in Buford.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

SouthGa Fisher

I've had one fishing season under me in the Lanier area. My experiences:

The upper Hooch is an awesome place to catch shoal bass. I've pulled some giants out of it this summer.

Lanier, when the fish are on the banks in early spring can offer some awesome fishing. Be very careful of boat traffic if your yak is small, like you mentioned. Mine is 11.5 feet and it's been close to turning over during heavy boat traffic.

A little further north and you have my favorite places, the Ga Power lakes. These are Burton, Seed, Rabun, Tugalo, and Yonah. From what I can tell, most people have a tough time at the smaller ones. Personally, I have done very well in all of the lakes except Rabun. They are in the mountains, and absolutely beautiful. Burton has a fishable population of Brown trout and walleye. A few of the other lakes have walleye as well.

I hope this helps. I could write a book on these lakes just from being here 10 months. You'll have a great time, just put the time in and you'll find the fish! If you need specific information, boat ramps, that kind of stuff shoot me a message and I'll tell you what I know.

61BelAir

I can't help you out with anywhere up that way, but if you need more info you might try posting the same question in the Kayak & Canoe section here on this same forum.

Coenen

How small is small? If you're going to be on Lanier, this is the time of year to do it, since boat traffic will be way down until probably April of '18. During the "good weather" months, it can be dicey even in a big kayak.

Lanier fishes pretty well almost year round, but unless you've got a sonar on your kayak it can be tough sledding in the months where the fish are out in the deeper water. Depending on how you're rigged, the fall and early spring months are a good time to pull live bait. Now that the gulls have moved in for the winter, they're a good asset to help find groups of feeding fish.

There are several watershed and smaller reservoirs around the area that you can target as well. Hollis Lathem near Dawsonville, and Lake Zwerner in Dhalonega both come to mind. The Hooch tailwater below Buford Dam provides good year round trout fishing as well.