I took my 4 year old hunting Saturday

rstallings1979

afternoon for the second time ever and I wanted to share the story. He demanded we take his gun (red rider BB gun) so of course we did. We set up in the box about 4:30 on a picked peanut field on our farm and it was a little warm. As you can see from our selfie pic I was wearing short sleeves at the beginning of the hunt. I was worried it would be slow due to the warm weather.

About 20 minutes before dark 7 does entered the field about 100 yards from the box. We were watching them and I noticed across the field near the entrance 2 does were skirting around the edge. The entire time my kid was making the most noise he could possibly make while watching the does closer to the blind. Across the field I noticed one of the other does bounce into the middle of the field and behind her was a pretty decent high racked buck. He chased her back into the woods so I kind of forgot about him. As light was leaving the field my son demanded to shoot one of the deer in front of us with his gun. The red rider was already cocked as well so I said what the heck. He fired off the loudest spring action shot you could imagine and all the does just kind of looked up and started bouncing off towards the far side of the field. Of course I told him he stung one with the BB. Then I glanced back across the field and the buck was back out in the field much closer this time and sprinting towards the does my son just bounced a BB towards. I told him to stop and be still but of course he was re cocking the Red Rider making the loudest clicking noises you could imagine to fire another BB. In any case I never could got a shot on the buck with the rifle but it was a memorable hunt. A hunt that I will remember forever more than likely.

Needless to say I know some of you are die hard hunters but if you have kids get them in the woods on occasion. I use my morning hunts for myself but going forward my 4 year old will likely be with me on my evening hunts whenever he wants to join in. I will say he was a little quieter the second go around than the first so maybe that will improve with time.

Attachments

• Henry hunting.jpg
    Henry hunting.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 576

GADawg08

awesome man!....I've got a little guy who will be 4 in april and I've taken him twice so far this yr. The first time we ended up having to leave about 30 minutes before dark cause he had all he could take of sitting still lol. He's actually done better than I expected as far as being quiet. I haven't seen a deer with him yet but it will happen soon. I wanted to take him yesterday evening but he's getting over a cold and that wind was pretty rough yesterday. I ended up seeing 15 deer....wish he could have been there with me. Maybe next time

Rich M

It was a great hunt - big buck or happy kid? No question in my mind that everything happened as it should with a 4 yr old.

You need to whack a doe or buck with him there and see what he does. Should be really neat to watch.