Deer skinning pole ideas?

Jasper

Fixing up a new camp and want to build a skinning pole. I've seen different ideas over the years for homemade poles and would like to hear yours. Pictures would be great, too!

Thanks.

Havana Dude

4x4 posts about 6' apart. 4x6 across the top. Boat winch with rope to a pulley in the center (picture).

I put the roof over ours as I was tired of cleaning deer in the rain:rolleyes:. Not depicted in drawing are braces from the 4x4's, to the rear or roof.

A couple pics added as well.

Attachments

• Skinning rack.JPG
    Skinning rack.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 21,760
  • Hog 2  12-28-09 Mark Culpepper.JPG
    Hog 2 12-28-09 Mark Culpepper.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 39,004
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 20,646

huntfish

No pics, but here's the design we used on many of leases. 10 foot sections of 6X6 for uprights, approximately 10 feet apart. (allows you to back up a truck between the poles). Sink them 2 feet and anchor in concrete. Another 6X6 for the top. Use lags to secure. Secure a pully assembly in the center.

I'm partial to the multi pully assemblies to make it easier to raise the deer and it also allows for either head up or down postion.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
John, Here is a picture of ours in Talbot, 4 x 4 posts I think with a boat winch. Pretty simple, we actually had to move ours to another part of the property too.

Attachments

• ButcherShop.jpg
    ButcherShop.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 22,093

BBDJR

rough sketch but you get the idea

Attachments

• skinningrack2.jpg
    skinningrack2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 27,656

Core Lokt

What ever you do make it where you can brace off the gamble and make it where it doesn't swing/spin. Nothing worse than spinning in circles while skinning/cleaning game to me.

horse2292

Need one of these to finish it off.

Gives it a finished look
attachment.php

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Here's ours:

Attachments

• IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 45,932

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Oh that poor little deer how cruel of you. Why do you take pictures glorifying the deer being dead? Why not skin it out and pray for it's soul......

T

Cottontail

One 6x6 post cemented in the ground 2 ft. (12ftlong) Look on the treelounge website they have the hanger & crank all built together its called The Deer Hoist. Hangs on trees also.

Public Land Prowler

here's my elcheapo with treated 4x4's..Don't laugh it's 10 years old,and has held up over 250 hogs and deer.

IMG_0046-1.jpg

Heavy duty hinge

IMG_0047.jpg

Chain buried in the dirt,or sakrete'd in,and a nail or 2 to hook it on..2 is best for safety reasons.

IMG_0049.jpg

My uncle made this one out of old dog collars,but you get the idea..

IMG_0050.jpg

K80

The one I grew up using is still my favorite design. It allows two people to clean at once and doesn't allow the deer to spin like the closehanger looking thing on a cable.

The red is a heavy rope with a knot at the end of it, about 2/3rds of the rope is tied in a loop and if you slit the deers hocks you can run the other 1/3rd through and back up through the loop allowing the knot on the end of the rope to catch when pressure is applied.

Attachments

• skinning pole.jpg
    skinning pole.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 20,231

Rem270

One thing we have out our club that's nice is a set of wide vice grips attached to chains cemented into the ground. Grasp the deer skin with the vice grips then start cranking, it pulls the skin right off.

ehunt

here's my elcheapo with treated 4x4's..Don't laugh it's 10 years old,and has held up over 250 hogs and deer.

IMG_0046-1.jpg

Heavy duty hinge

IMG_0047.jpg

Chain buried in the dirt,or sakrete'd in,and a nail or 2 to hook it on..2 is best for safety reasons.

IMG_0049.jpg

My uncle made this one out of old dog collars,but you get the idea..

IMG_0050.jpg

now thats a slick one right there.never seen one like that cool idea

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We have a 4 x 4 across two trees about 15 feet high. From that 4x4 we have a couple nylon block and tackles along with two lines from boat winches to pull em up with. I know it's old school to hang em from gambles by the hind legs, but let me give you something to think about.
been a taxidermist since 1957 and can tell you this. If you hang a buck by the hind legs, blood will settle in the neck and head area between the skin and meat, making it messy for the taxidermist. We hang all our deer by the head, this allows em to drain out better when weather allows hanging for several days. Of course, we have a couple hardheads that insist on hanging by the hindlegs, but it's their deer. Pulling the hide off with a golfball using fourwheeler, truck or winch also works better if hung from the head. Skinning a hog, use a knife like used for opening cardboard boxes. Ring around the neck behind the ears, around the legs, then, cut the hide in strips about 2 inches wide. Pull the strips off with catfish pliers/strippers. Don't forget, hange em by the head. End result, neat, clean and not gapped up. Try it, and you'll see.