Shakespeare Necedah

cch0830

I want to clean this bow up. Any suggestions or directions on what I could do? It's just the finish that seems to be worn.

Attachments

• IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    451.2 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2749.JPG
    IMG_2749.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 336

Al33

My way may not be the best way, but what I did for a bow in similar condition was scrape off the fractured finish with a sharp straightedge. I then used 100 grit paper to smooth out the edges of the finish that had been left which was mainly at the fade-outs of the limbs as well as to refinish the riser. I followed this up with some 150 grit then 0000 steel wool before spraying on a new finish.

cch0830

My way may not be the best way, but what I did for a bow in similar condition was scrape off the fractured finish with a sharp straightedge. I then used 100 grit paper to smooth out the edges of the finish that had been left which was mainly at the fade-outs of the limbs as well as to refinish the riser. I followed this up with some 150 grit then 0000 steel wool before spraying on a new finish.

What kind of finish did you use?

Al33

What kind of finish did you use?

I have used MinnWax semi gloss spray on lacquer and Deft lacquer spray. You can also use a spray on poly but I like the lacquer beter. The professional guys use a finish that I cannot think of the name of right now but I understand you have to buy it by the gallon and it ain't cheap.

robtattoo

I've jusr finished re-finishing a '74 Bear super Grizzly in about the same condition. All I did was sand off all the old laquer with 100grit sandpaper (be real careful not to take off too much glass, you'll hear the difference) I then re-sanded with 240 grit.
The riser got 4 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, hand rubbed. Once that was dry & all the grain filled, I went over it very gently with some 600 grit wet & dry. I sprayed the whole bow then, with 6 coats of Tru-Oil (from an aerosol), dried for 48 hours &flatted with 600gr again, then finished with 4 final coats.
The finish is like glass! It needs another 24 hours to fully cure & then I'll take a few pics, if anyone's interested.