Trophy Radishes

I have the TROPHY RADISHES available, both at my farm supply in Washington County and In Kennesaw, Ga. Feel free to contact me about the Radishes as well as any other products you might need. Southern Sweet Spot is avail as well. and much much more. (478)299-6567 Chad

66 POJ

I have the TROPHY RADISHES available, both at my farm supply in Washington County and In Kennesaw, Ga. Feel free to contact me about the Radishes as well as any other products you might need. Southern Sweet Spot is avail as well. and much much more. (478)299-6567 Chad

These seem to be the buzz around our guys. Are they worth it?
Also, we are mixing with another mix of unknown at this time and with some clover. Is there anything these should not be mixed with?

Jhunt

Banned
They will mix with any thing as long as you use the recommended rate. Some where I read, or was told, that if you seed them too heavily they can shade out companion crops. I know I was told that 5 lbs, mixed with 50 lbs of wheat would cover an acre. By themselves, 5 lbs will cover half an acre.

Silvertip

Banned
Someone please confirm. I was told Friday at a seed store that these Trophy Radishes are nothing more than a wild variety (weed) . Anyone know for sure?

Someone please confirm. I was told Friday at a seed store that these Trophy Radishes are nothing more than a wild variety (weed) . Anyone know for sure?

These are not a "wild variety or weed" They have been genetically designed as a soil amendment plant. Kent K. came across them , tested them for 2 yrs in different area in ga for a game attractant as well as a nutritional supplement and had good results. He trade marked the name "Trophy Radishes" bagged them in 5 # bags and is marketing them to hunters or wildlife managers.
I can tell you that they serve all 3 purposes in Ga. 1) soil amend. 2) nutritional supplement 3) attractant.
Any other questions, I will be glad to discuss.

This will tell you all about them.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/faculty/bjorkman/covercrops/pdfs/Weil_radish.pdf

A professor, Ray Weil, has been researching them as a cover crop and forage for years, and has published numerous papers on them. It's not exactly as if the radishes were "just discoverd" or anything. You can look up his work on the Internet.

Then a no-till enthusiast, Steve Gross, started promoting them, and marketing them. He mostly took the seed from the research stage with Weil to the marketing stage, and sells the seed as "Tillage Radishes",http://www.tillageradish.com/. Apparently it is the Gross seeds that are being bagged and relabeled as "Trophy Radishes."

The irony is that Gross and Weil are promoting the radishes primarily as a soil amendments as part of a no till program. The radish sends down a strong taproot that supposedly will break through any type of soil. In the spring, that root dies, rots (and gets worms), and leaves a big hole in the ground, increasing the tilth of the soil. Also, the roots capture nitrogen and provide a slow release as the roots decay, aiding spring crops.

Given our heavy clay soils, I think this tillage aspect is as interesting as the forage capability.

Here is a good read on the subject,

http://www.cedarmeadowfarm.com/FarmResearch/ForageRadish.html

Note the statement,

Due to the lack of large quantities of seed I now grow for seed production and have seed for sale. Contact me for availibility and quantity discounts.

The diakon radish is used in Japanese and Korean cuisines (and probably others also).

oochee hunter

Where is your farm supply store in washington county?

Gadget

This will tell you all about them.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/faculty/bjorkman/covercrops/pdfs/Weil_radish.pdf

A professor, Ray Weil, has been researching them as a cover crop and forage for years, and has published numerous papers on them. It's not exactly as if the radishes were "just discoverd" or anything. You can look up his work on the Internet.

Then a no-till enthusiast, Steve Gross, started promoting them, and marketing them. He mostly took the seed from the research stage with Weil to the marketing stage, and sells the seed as "Tillage Radishes",http://www.tillageradish.com/. Apparently it is the Gross seeds that are being bagged and relabeled as "Trophy Radishes."

The irony is that Gross and Weil are promoting the radishes primarily as a soil amendments as part of a no till program. The radish sends down a strong taproot that supposedly will break through any type of soil. In the spring, that root dies, rots (and gets worms), and leaves a big hole in the ground, increasing the tilth of the soil. Also, the roots capture nitrogen and provide a slow release as the roots decay, aiding spring crops.

Given our heavy clay soils, I think this tillage aspect is as interesting as the forage capability.

Here is a good read on the subject,

http://www.cedarmeadowfarm.com/FarmResearch/ForageRadish.html

Note the statement,

The diakon radish is used in Japanese and Korean cuisines (and probably others also).

Good Info

We planted some this year, I will be watching them closely to see how they compare to other brassicas we have planted.

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
Where is your farm supply store in washington county?

He's located in Davisboro. I picked up and planted 4 bags of Trophy Radishes, among other seed, Labor Day weekend from Chad. Good guy and and fair pricing, PM him and he can give exact location. Or call, someone there can answer all your questions. 478-348-4931

Gadget

Here's a report on the TR's

Growth rate is high, Germination rate is high as well, comparable to other brassicas.

But the TR's seem to be more palatable than other brassicas, especially early in the season, which is a good thing, were noticing a lot more browse on the TR than our plots that have rape. All of the plots have mixtures with clovers and grains, none are just brassicas.

Gaswamp

Here's a report on the TR's

Growth rate is high, Germination rate is high as well, comparable to other brassicas.

But the TR's seem to be more palatable than other brassicas, especially early in the season, which is a good thing, were noticing a lot more browse on the TR than our plots that have rape. All of the plots have mixtures with clovers and grains, none are just brassicas.

Rick what was your overall assessment?

Killdee

I planted them as well, I planted a thicker strip down 1 side of 2 plots and spread the rest throughout the plot to take advantage of their other advantages. Kimbrough brothers in pine mountain also carries them.

Gadget

Rick what was your overall assessment?

This is the fourth season we've planted them Joe, overall been very happy with em. We planted more this year then ever before, they've been growing in popularity among the guys in the club so more ppl are planting them. I like them best in a mixture with cereal grains(wheat,oats, rye) and arrowleaf clover, I ad in Iron & Clay peas for a bow draw, works well if you have a big enough plot so they don't get browsed out too quick, if not then go with buckwheat. Have to be careful about over seeding when used in a blend, can shade out your other seed. It's a great planting for deer, they really like it, one of the best brassicas for the money I think.

Core Lokt

I planted 6 in my garden last yr and let them seed out. I ended up with 1 1/2 qt bags of pure seed. I'm planting them today with some clover in my plot at the house that I planted a week ago. I have 12 in my garden up about 8" now.

Killdee

I planted 6 in my garden last yr and let them seed out. I ended up with 1 1/2 qt bags of pure seed. I'm planting them today with some clover in my plot at the house that I planted a week ago. I have 12 in my garden up about 8" now.

That is good info, what time of year did they seed out? be nice to save some $ on planting seeds, I usually do the same in my garden on some stuff.

Core Lokt

They seed out in the spring (bout March) then it takes them about 4-6 weeks for the pod to dry and the seed to get hard. Then I shell them like peas while watching TV.