GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Default New to me SKS

Always wanted one but wasn't old enough to buy one when they were $99 yrs ago, then never found one I could either afford or it was a pile of scrap until I talked an amateur collector friend of mine into selling me one of his. It's a 1953 Tula Russian in very good condition with all matching numbers. Let's see or hear from all you SKS owners and tell what you have or have not done to them. I'm liking how original it is and probably won't do much to it except maybe add bigger mag for when I take it hog slaying
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2017, 11:31 AM

That's a fine looking sks you have there ! That wood looks great ! I've never owned a Russian, but always heard they were the most desirable, most of mine have been Chinese, Please don't " bubba" that one up, it looks too good ! You don't really need a bigger mag, plus they get in the way of maneuvering the rifle around under hunting conditions anyway. The factory box holds 10rds, get you some stripper clips and carry an extra or two loaded for extra rounds, you'd be surprised, you can load from a stripper clip faster than you can change mags probably anyway. That rifle you have is almost too nice to take in the woods from what I can see, you done good !

I currently only have a beater Chinese paratrooper length sks that is my truck gun, I have had the D models and M models in the past, currently casually looking for another one of those that accepts the AK mags,
Old 04-20-2017, 01:17 PM

I have owned several. All mine cost a couple of military issue 556 rounds out of a m16. so I guess you could say mine were free. Never did the paper to bring one back, all the ones we picked up were in bad shape.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Administrator

One in that shape, I wouldn't do anything to. As for the magazine, 10 is plenty. I have one that is AK'd up, but when I use it for hunting I usually wind up putting a ten-round detachable in it, because the 20 and 30 rounders are too long and in the way.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 PM

I remember when you could buy an SKS with 1K rds of combloc surplus ammo for maybe $250. Why didn't I ??
Old 04-20-2017, 06:05 PM

I've got a yugo with the grenade launcher and a chinese one. The Yugo, I've outfitted with a Tapco collapsible tactical stock and detachable mags. The Chinese, I've put in a composit monte carlo stock, because its a little longer and gives me better eye relief, and I've got a red dot in it, with the original 10-rd mag. Both are fun to shoot, and very accurate out to 200 yds.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 PM

ALWAYS keep a Chinese SKS barrel pointing away from anything you don't want shot. They have a mind (trigger) of their own. As I watched a frustrated friend of mine throw his unloaded SKS rifle in a hunting club fire many years ago which was pointing away from everybody, I couldn't help thinking ''That empty, burning gun is going to go off a kill someone on the next property.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Administrator

My Chinese SKS does not have a mind of its own. It is a solid, reliable rifle, actually.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 PM

I've never had a problem with any of the ones I've owned, some have been more accurate than others, but they have all been reliable, the one I have now is a beat up conglomeration of mismatched parts, Chinese receiver, 16in barrel, well worn trigger group of unknown origin, and an Albanian bolt with curved bolt handle, goes bang every time, actually quite accurate with the Tech sights rear peep I installed.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 AM

The best mod you can do to that rifle is paint the front sight white. It will dramatically improve accuracy. I agree with everyone else, there is no need for a 20 round magazine. You can get stripper clips for cheap at Numrich, or Amazon for that matter.

If you want to scope it, I found this nifty looking mount on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MagWedge-SKS...-/252779027754 It mounts to the pin at the back of the receiver, and to the rear sight.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 AM

I've got 5 of them. All Chinese. 3 paratroopers, one regular. The only bubba'ed one I have is one I bought with the grey Timbersmith stock with peep sites already installed. I like the original layout better than the aftermarket one.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:43 PM

I remember probably 20 years ago when Franklin's in Athens had them for $99 packed in grease and packed like sardines in wooden crates. I was too foolish to buy one.
John 3:16
Old 04-22-2017, 08:40 AM

I wish I had more of them. For some reason I just love these little rifles.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furtaker View Post
I remember probably 20 years ago when Franklin's in Athens had them for $99 packed in grease and packed like sardines in wooden crates. I was too foolish to buy one.
That's when and where I got mine. Had to get all the grease off it. There were some in those crates that were full auto (I was told). I had 2 . One was never fired and both mint condition.Sold them both. Wish I never did. I want a Russian one though. It was 23 years ago
Old 04-22-2017, 12:03 PM

I added a sporterized stock and it improved the balance of the rifle (but it is a little heavier - not a problem). I also purchased a 30 round mag and stripper clips. I use it when stalk hunting hogs. It works equally well on deer and bear. Use the steel core bullets for good penetration.Stay away from the hollow point bullets because it makes the meat bloodshot.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
That's when and where I got mine. Had to get all the grease off it. There were some in those crates that were full auto (I was told). I had 2 . One was never fired and both mint condition.Sold them both. Wish I never did. I want a Russian one though. It was 23 years ago
SKS and some of the AK variants can go full-auto if the cosmoline isn't cleaned out from around the firing pin. Since it floats, sticking it in place will cause the rifle to slam-fire until it's empty.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:42 AM

From someone who doesn't like SKS rifles, that's a good looking one. Don't do anything to it, it looks great as is.
John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.