GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Spiritual Discussions and Study


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #226  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM
centerpin fan's Avatar
centerpin fan centerpin fan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Straight, employed, white male section of Atlanta
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Well, we've already been told the gay prostitute doesn't have to repent. In another thread, we were told adulterers don't need to repent. Therefore, I'm guessing the greedy can pass on repentance as well.
__________________
I've always wanted an Avatar avatar.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Artfuldodger's Avatar
Artfuldodger Artfuldodger is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Martinez/Augusta
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
Well, we've already been told the gay prostitute doesn't have to repent. In another thread, we were told adulterers don't need to repent. Therefore, I'm guessing the greedy can pass on repentance as well.
But you, you have repented from sin?
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 AM
hummerpoo hummerpoo is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egomaniac247 View Post
And the biggie..
IF it is "the biggie", the first question is "who made it "the biggie"? Scripture doesn't give it that status.
Quote:
...if being gay is immoral and wrong what about the # of people in the land (probably some of you) who've had a DIVORCE?
What about them?

Quote:
Now to be clear, I am not trying to contradict anyone or serve up a "gotcha" moment.
If the answers you seek are to be found, it will be in diligent, prayerful study, not by throwing up lists on an internet forum.
__________________
It's all about God.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:49 AM
welderguy's Avatar
welderguy welderguy is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
Well, we've already been told the gay prostitute doesn't have to repent. In another thread, we were told adulterers don't need to repent. Therefore, I'm guessing the greedy can pass on repentance as well.
Your original question should have been "Is grace required for repentance?"

And your answer(I hope) would have been "YES!".

Rom.5:17
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
__________________
I don't know what tomorrow holds....
But I know the One Who holds all tomorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 04-21-2017, 07:50 AM
centerpin fan's Avatar
centerpin fan centerpin fan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Straight, employed, white male section of Atlanta
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
But you, you have repented from sin?
I don't know any Christian who hasn't. And, I might add, I never heard it was even up for discussion until reading the GON spiritual forum.
__________________
I've always wanted an Avatar avatar.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 04-21-2017, 07:51 AM
centerpin fan's Avatar
centerpin fan centerpin fan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Straight, employed, white male section of Atlanta
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
Your original question should have been "Is grace required for repentance?"
I think the OP is fine as it is.
__________________
I've always wanted an Avatar avatar.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 AM
welderguy's Avatar
welderguy welderguy is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
I think the OP is fine as it is.
Ok, then what part of UN-merited favor do you not understand?
__________________
I don't know what tomorrow holds....
But I know the One Who holds all tomorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 AM
centerpin fan's Avatar
centerpin fan centerpin fan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Straight, employed, white male section of Atlanta
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
Ok, then what part of UN-merited favor do you not understand?
I think I understand it pretty well. I just don't think repentance negates it.
__________________
I've always wanted an Avatar avatar.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 AM
welderguy's Avatar
welderguy welderguy is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
I think I understand it pretty well. I just don't think repentance negates it.
So, in essence, you're saying "faith without works is dead". I agree wholeheartedly. They go hand in hand.

But here's what one must realize, that you cannot manufacture faith by doing works. Faith is a gift from God. If you've been given faith, then you are enabled to do good works.
__________________
I don't know what tomorrow holds....
But I know the One Who holds all tomorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM
centerpin fan's Avatar
centerpin fan centerpin fan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Straight, employed, white male section of Atlanta
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
So, in essence, you're saying "faith without works is dead". I agree wholeheartedly. They go hand in hand.

But here's what one must realize, that you cannot manufacture faith by doing works. Faith is a gift from God. If you've been given faith, then you are enabled to do good works.
Is repentance a work?
__________________
I've always wanted an Avatar avatar.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM
welderguy's Avatar
welderguy welderguy is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
Is repentance a work?
yes.
It's what we are created unto, if we are "in Christ".

Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
__________________
I don't know what tomorrow holds....
But I know the One Who holds all tomorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM
centerpin fan's Avatar
centerpin fan centerpin fan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Straight, employed, white male section of Atlanta
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
yes.
That's where we fundamentally disagree.

Now, I'm going fishing.
__________________
I've always wanted an Avatar avatar.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM
welderguy's Avatar
welderguy welderguy is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
That's where we fundamentally disagree.

Now, I'm going fishing.
If it's anything that you could boast in that you did, scripture describes it as works.

Hope you catch a big one.
__________________
I don't know what tomorrow holds....
But I know the One Who holds all tomorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Artfuldodger's Avatar
Artfuldodger Artfuldodger is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Martinez/Augusta
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I guess I need an updated definition of repenting of sin? Is it to stop sinning or to try and stop sinning? Must the drunkard repent from drinking to gain salvation or must he gain salvation and then try to stop drinking? How long does he have or how many tries before his salvation is removed? That really makes salvation a rollercoaster dependent on repentance of sin.

Does salvation wax and wane with the drunkards drinking and soberness?

I'm not sure trying to not sin equals repenting of sin.

Last edited by Artfuldodger; 04-21-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 PM
hobbs27's Avatar
hobbs27 hobbs27 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dawsonville
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

So works can't bring salvation but they can prevent you from salvation?
__________________
"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place." <--So simple, yet so hard for most.
Reply With Quote
  #241  
Old 04-21-2017, 02:58 PM
welderguy's Avatar
welderguy welderguy is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs27 View Post
So works can't bring salvation but they can prevent you from salvation?
Our works do nothing for nor against eternal salvation.

Christ's finished work at Calvary, on the other hand, accomplished it all for us.
__________________
I don't know what tomorrow holds....
But I know the One Who holds all tomorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 04-21-2017, 03:30 PM
hobbs27's Avatar
hobbs27 hobbs27 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dawsonville
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
Our works do nothing for nor against eternal salvation.

Christ's finished work at Calvary, on the other hand, accomplished it all for us.
Are our works just for others to judge if we are saved or not?
__________________
"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place." <--So simple, yet so hard for most.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 04-21-2017, 04:25 PM
welderguy's Avatar
welderguy welderguy is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs27 View Post
Are our works just for others to judge if we are saved or not?
Ha. of course not.
Good works are for the glory of God, not man.
__________________
I don't know what tomorrow holds....
But I know the One Who holds all tomorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Artfuldodger's Avatar
Artfuldodger Artfuldodger is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Martinez/Augusta
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
I don't know any Christian who hasn't. And, I might add, I never heard it was even up for discussion until reading the GON spiritual forum.
What is your definition of repentance from sin?
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 PM
Artfuldodger's Avatar
Artfuldodger Artfuldodger is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Martinez/Augusta
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Galatians 3:3
How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?

But if it doesn't take human effort?

Ezekiel 18:24
"But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity and does according to all the abominations that a wicked man does, will he live? All his righteous deeds which he has done will not be remembered for his treachery which he has committed and his sin which he has committed; for them he will die.

Last edited by Artfuldodger; 04-22-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 04-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Vectorman's Avatar
Vectorman Vectorman is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hampton
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

The biggest problem today about repentance is that we automatically insert "of sin" anytime we see the word repentance in the Bible. The true definition as I understand it is to change you mind or direction. There are places where the Bible say to repent of a specific sin. ex. Acts 8:22 where Peter tells Simon to repent of wanting to buy the power of the Holy Spirit. But, if you look at Genesis 6:6 or Exodus 32:14 in the KJV you will see that God repented. Obviously He didn't turn from sin, He changed his mind. This is how it should be read in the rest of the bible. So, everytime you see the word repent, or repentance, read it as "change my mind about". It will clear things up.

Let's look at one example. Acts 17:29-31

Acts 17:29-31(NIV)

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

This word "repent" should be read as "change their mind about".....about what?...about thinking that God was an image carved out of gold, silver, or stone by human hands.

Dr. Mike Halsey wrote an excellent book called "Truthspeak" it's available on Amazon and addresses this issue and several others. I suggest taking a look at it.

https://www.amazon.com/Truthspeak-Ch...h+speak+halsey
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 04-22-2017, 08:48 AM
welderguy's Avatar
welderguy welderguy is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
Galatians 3:3
How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?

But if it doesn't take human effort?

Ezekiel 18:24
"But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity and does according to all the abominations that a wicked man does, will he live? All his righteous deeds which he has done will not be remembered for his treachery which he has committed and his sin which he has committed; for them he will die.
When the righteous man fell into sin, he experienced the death that James tells us about.

James 1:14-15
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.


Paul said "when sin revived, I died..."
__________________
I don't know what tomorrow holds....
But I know the One Who holds all tomorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 04-22-2017, 09:15 AM
centerpin fan's Avatar
centerpin fan centerpin fan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Straight, employed, white male section of Atlanta
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
The biggest problem today about repentance is that we automatically insert "of sin" anytime we see the word repentance in the Bible. The true definition as I understand it is to change you mind or direction. There are places where the Bible say to repent of a specific sin. ex. Acts 8:22 where Peter tells Simon to repent of wanting to buy the power of the Holy Spirit. But, if you look at Genesis 6:6 or Exodus 32:14 in the KJV you will see that God repented. Obviously He didn't turn from sin, He changed his mind. This is how it should be read in the rest of the bible. So, everytime you see the word repent, or repentance, read it as "change my mind about". It will clear things up.

Let's look at one example. Acts 17:29-31

Acts 17:29-31(NIV)

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

This word "repent" should be read as "change their mind about".....about what?...about thinking that God was an image carved out of gold, silver, or stone by human hands.

Dr. Mike Halsey wrote an excellent book called "Truthspeak" it's available on Amazon and addresses this issue and several others. I suggest taking a look at it.

https://www.amazon.com/Truthspeak-Ch...h+speak+halsey
... but you can't compare God (Who is incapable of sin) to man (whose nature is to sin). Yes, repentance is changing our mind -- about sin! Look at Zacchaeus. He didn't change his mind about "who Jesus is". He changed his mind about his sin.
__________________
I've always wanted an Avatar avatar.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 AM
hobbs27's Avatar
hobbs27 hobbs27 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dawsonville
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
Ha. of course not.
Good works are for the glory of God, not man.
Then God glorifies Himself in His works through man?

What does that say of the reprobate, what is God doing through them?
__________________
"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place." <--So simple, yet so hard for most.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Israel's Avatar
Israel Israel is online now
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Guyton, Ga
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

What if God, intending to show His wrath and make His power known, bore with great patience the vessels of His wrath, prepared for destruction? What if He did this to make the riches of His glory known to the vessels of His mercy, whom He prepared in advance for glory —

Not unlike watching this, marveling at the patience and humility revealed...that is eventually the villain's undoing. Let a man think he's one thing for as long as he needs to, while thinking completely wrong of you. Let a man have all his inferences and presumptions and assumptions...even if he must, think it was you who gave them.
let him build, as it were..."precept upon precept, line upon line, here a little, there a little"
He will fall backward...and be snared.


__________________
For in him dwells the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger