GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Turkey Talk

Old 04-21-2017, 05:43 AM
Default Flying with gun and ammo?

Leaving out Wednesday going to Kansas to chase some Rio's. I know rules change all the time so I wanted to ask someone who has traveled before. Where do my shells go? Gun case? Check bag? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 AM

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition
Old 04-21-2017, 06:40 AM

Usually fly Southwest when going on hunting trips. Their policy is ammunition in case with firearm in a box, or metal container. Usually keep mine in the box the shotgun shells came in. Never had a problem yet.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger#3 View Post
Let your ticket agent know you are traveling with a firearm.

Follow these exactly. "Not accessible" means that. No TSA locks, I used Master locks and I have the only key. Do not yield the key to anyone unless you are present when/if they want to examine the gun (they will do this at checkin). Be sure it is unloaded!

Be sure to check that your baggage claim check is for the correct destination. A friend had his bags and gun sent to a different city by a "probable" bunny-hugger ticket agent.

Have a printed copy of the TSA rules and your airline's rules with you. Be polite, ask questions if you have concerns. I've never had a problem with domestic flights and only one problem with U.S. Customs when returning to the U.S. In that instance, the Customs agent got his butt in trouble. The ticket folks and TSA staff have always been friendly and professional with me.

Have a great hunt! Post a report on your experience.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptonongood View Post
Let your ticket agent know you are traveling with a firearm.

Follow these exactly. "Not accessible" means that. No TSA locks, I used Master locks and I have the only key. Do not yield the key to anyone unless you are present when/if they want to examine the gun (they will do this at checkin). Be sure it is unloaded!

Be sure to check that your baggage claim check is for the correct destination. A friend had his bags and gun sent to a different city by a "probable" bunny-hugger ticket agent.

Have a printed copy of the TSA rules and your airline's rules with you. Be polite, ask questions if you have concerns. I've never had a problem with domestic flights and only one problem with U.S. Customs when returning to the U.S. In that instance, the Customs agent got his butt in trouble. The ticket folks and TSA staff have always been friendly and professional with me.

Have a great hunt! Post a report on your experience.
This ^
Just flew two weeks ago - shells in original box inside case with gun - Master Locks (you have the key). Agents were helpful and pleasant. Have a fun trip!
DJ
Old 04-21-2017, 09:04 AM

I told you fool. You don't listen to me???
Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM

I always put my shells in my check bag. Have never had an issue.

According to a TSA supervisor that my roommate knows personally, they can go in either your check bag, or your case.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
I always put my shells in my check bag. Have never had an issue.

According to a TSA supervisor that my roommate knows personally, they can go in either your check bag, or your case.
This is correct. 5, 6 years ago they had to be in a checked bag that was not the gun case - gun and ammo separate. Now it can be wherever, as long as it's checked.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM

You need to check with your carrier.

Last time I flew with Delta the ammo had to be in a separate bag from your firearm.
'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'USA' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Old 04-22-2017, 07:58 AM

Also according to Delta you must have a lock in every hole of the case. I'd flown for years with 2 locks. Well, flew into Brunswick from Texas with 2 locks and tried to fly out 5 days later. They said the rule had changed the day before and it was a mad dash to Home Depot for 2 more locks!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:39 AM

For a short duration hunt I would ship my gun ahead, to myself, by Fed Ex. To the outfitter.

You can bring it back yourself, but in my experience ( 5 flights to hunt) my guns have arrived with me only once. I have gotten all of them, but 4 times they were late. I'd rather they be late coming home than going.