Ph soil test now ???

z71mathewsman

Well,I cant blame it on no rain this year.Maybe its the deer mowing it down? Not giving it time to grow?Ph too low?And no,I didn't get a PH test done before I planted it Sept 10th.I put 10 10 10 Fertilizer and pelletized lime on all my plots when I planted it.What I'm asking the food plot experts here,can I get a soil test done next week to see what went wrong?

z71mathewsman

Food Plot

Pic,is not to good,but they are hammering it.

Attachments

• 11270028.jpg
    11270028.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 427
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 423

misterpink

Sure. A soil test is always good for planning and seeing where you're at ph and nutrient wise.

If they are mowing it down it is hard to tell how well the plants did. Are you using exclusion cages?

z71mathewsman

Cages

No,I know it takes lime 6 months to take effect.Just looking at my plots,they are just not doing well.But my guess,the deer are not giving it time to grow since the plot is only 1/2 acre with a high deer population.Im going down in the spring to build a box stand and do a little more scouting.I would like to do a soil test to see what the soil needs for next year.

CNC

If that's all the fertilizer you've added then your field probably ran N deficient a long time ago. You likely need to spread some 33-0-0 on your fields.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Soil test will tell me what type of fertilizer to put on it ?

Get a soil test done by UGA through your county agent. You will know the needs for all nutrients. do the test annually and keep and compare the results after you add stuff each year.

misterpink

When you drop the dirt off you can tell them what you want to grow (the have a list of common items and food plot mixes). Your results will list what type of fert mix you need, how much and how much lime to get you to optimum. If you do it now your prior lime will not be fully integrated into the soil, but odds are you need alot more than you put down. So if you do it now and lime again soon your dirt should be good come fall. Wait on applying fert until you plant your seed. It will get used up by weeds or leach out.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
As stated above ...... the (simple) soil test I had done, I told them I wanted to plant cereal grains and clover and below are the results that came back. There are other soil tests you can ask for but the first one, will tell you a lot.

If you want, once you get your results, you can post them here and we can help with some additional ideas.

Attachments

• Soil test.JPG
    Soil test.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 296

z71mathewsman

I should have said that different,,,lol

I know the pH is good on Lime.What type of fertilizer with provide me the 2 ingredients that I'm low on?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
probably will have to go to a farm supply that mixes fertilizer to get what you need. There really isn't a blend with no nitrogen,lots of Phos and lots of Potash... also don't ignore that sulfur @ 10 lbs/acre.

Why isn't the nitrogen results on the test?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Just a guess, but a 0-20-20 would probably get you what you need.

It would if you could find any. I doubt being able to find that blend in any farm supply store. If you could, you would need 500/lbs per acre to get the levels of Ph and Po they say you need.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
I think It is no N needed because crop listed is " Fall Deer Mix-legumes". Just a guess, but maybe they have a different wildlife mix that is not all legumes. A call to the lab to discuss results may be worth your time if you're intending to plant a typical 5 way mix of wheat, oates, rye, clover, and peas/beans.

Seems that if you used cereal grains as a nurse crop then some N would be required and the most cost effective way to go would probably be 19-19-19 at around 10-11 bags per acre. Some of the resident experts on here will probably have some more ideas to help you get the most bang for your buck.

Buckfever

It would if you could find any. I doubt being able to find that blend in any farm supply store. If you could, you would need 500/lbs per acre to get the levels of Ph and Po they say you need.[/QUOTE/]

Correct sir... I hear about people using it on clover plots, so I know it's available, but I haven't seen it myself. Your right it'd take quite a bit to fit the bill depending on how big the OP plots are.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Any farm supply store should be able to order you some 0-20-20 if they don't have it in stock.