Tractor Seed/Fertilizer Spreader

GAbuckhunter88

I need to buy a seed/fertilizer spreader for the tractor very soon so I can spread lime at the end of the month. Anyone have any recommendations on which one to get or where to get one?

tree cutter 08

Bought mine at the local farmers exchange. Don't remember the name but similar to all the other ones out there. Think it was in the 450 ballpark. Its got the metal hopper. I just was it out good and spary it with diesel when I get done with it.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

Attachments

• Broadcast spreader.JPG
    Broadcast spreader.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 466
  • 2013-02-09_12-49-15_604.jpg
    2013-02-09_12-49-15_604.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 471

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would never buy another one with a metal hopper. Too much work to keep it cleaned. I would only have a plastic hopper, you don't have to worry about them rusting, and the seeds/fertilizer you are spreading the next time won't stick to the oil/lube you had to spray on the metal one to keep in from rusting.

ucfireman

I googled 3pt spreaders. The ones I saw were 450-900. I'm going to get one sometime. I plan on a plastic hopper for the rusting reason. I wonder about the spreader blades and bearings rusting though. Going to buy one for the 4 wheeler first.

ryanh487

I don't have any personal experience aside from daydream shopping, but northern tool has a few well reviewed pto options, both plastic and metal options.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have had 3 in my lifetime. The are all pretty much the same. I like the one I have now it has 2 slots, one on each side that drop material onto the spinner.

Clean and lube as others have said

mrfudd

Can’t you buy bulk and have it spread.? Delivery and spread charge was minimal for me last fall. Cheaper than buying by the bag and no equipment to buy, store and maintain.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I just bought 22 tons of lime and had them spread it.

GAbuckhunter88

I could have then come spread on the bigger fields 1-2 acres but I have some smaller plots that they can’t reach and I do not want to spread with a push spreader.

Plazadweller

You can get one with a metal hopper but you just need to coat the bottom of it with used motor oil after every use and keep it stored. Don’t ever let it sit out. The ones with plastic hoppers can’t tear up as easily. The moving parts will still rust out.

280bst

Young Farmers Sale is March 3rd might want to check that out just check it out if you find one

tree cutter 08

I googled 3pt spreaders. The ones I saw were 450-900. I'm going to get one sometime. I plan on a plastic hopper for the rusting reason. I wonder about the spreader blades and bearings rusting though. Going to buy one for the 4 wheeler first.

They way I see it, if you don't clean and spray the fins and frame when done it doesn't matter what your hopper is made of. Also don't forget to rinse off your tractor really good when done also.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
They way I see it, if you don't clean and spray the fins and frame when done it doesn't matter what your hopper is made of. Also don't forget to rinse off your tractor really good when done also.

That's exactly it ..... thoroughly clean inside and outside, let dry and spray down. My tractor gets the same routine, after using fertilizer.

I'll just add, that the galvanized on my Herd spreader is not showing any sides of rust, inside or out. The Herd spreader also has a cast iron base .... not stamped steel. The gate mechanism is made from 300 series stainless steel, so no chance of rust there. The spinner is made from very thick plastic. Any and all replacement parts are available on line.

Now, where you see painted red steel, I've got some rust there, which would be typical of any spreader you buy today.

The biggest benefit, to me, for the Herd spreader, is that I can broadcast anything I want, except for AG lime. From soybeans, down to tiny white clover.