Planted 15 plots Saturday!

Jeff Phillips

Hntrchk and I got back into a club in Taliferro Cty this year. I ran the club from '83 until '96, then turned it over to my Bro-In-Law.

We had workday Saturday (I'm the only bowhunter in the club). We put in 15 plots in 1 day! The plots range from about an 1/8 of an acre up to 1 1/2 acres. Probably average just over 1/2 acre.

He had plowed them Friday evening. He had a spreader on his tractor to put out 2000# each of lime and 10-10-10. We had a guy with a spreader for the 20 bags of seeds on his 4 wheeler. And I dragged em all with my Honda and the heaviest drag I have ever seen. I'm worn out still, but it's amazing what you can do with the right equipment :cool:

BTW - We planted a Pennington blend of oats, wheat, arrowleaf, and crimson. Then dragged over the whole works. Ya'll reckon the clovers are going to be too deep or the oats/wheat too shallow???

We had a number of Shade Divers in attendance as well as the few workers :banginghe

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good job. I planted mine Wed was a week ago. Looked at them Thrusday and they are fine. I was a crabapple today and they are coming up and looking good. We planted last Saturday.

SWAMPFOX

If you planted deep enough for the wheat and oats to germinate, then it will be too deep for the clover from my experience.

I cut in my wheat and oats and use a water-filled plastic lawn roller ($129 at Agri Supply) to pack it. Then I overseed with clover and pack again. Even with a light disking, I often got my clover too deep so now I just pack it down on a firm seed bed. It has done much better since I have started doing it that way.

If you read the bag label it will give you the percentage of clover in your mix. Normally, it isn't a lot even in a 50 lb. bag.

Handgunner

We've been waiting on the cooler weather to plant in Treutlen county, and now it's too wet to get a tractor in the fields! :confused:

Danged if ya do, Danged if ya don't.

Maybe it'll dry up enough by the first of October to get them in the ground. :pray:

TurkeyCreek

we bushhogged our plots this past weekend. will probably plow next week and plant last weekend in sept or first oct.