Advice for a new dove hunter

Hey guys I've never hunted doves before and plan on going to clybel sometime next week when I can go without being drawed. I'd appreciate any advice from y'all on what to do like how many decoys, best choke, etc.? Thanks!

Threesons

I've never been to Clybel dove field, but generally I like to set up somewhere close to a dead tree or a low spot in the treeline. If there are hay bales to set up on, then maybe one near a power line or in line with their natural flight path across the field. It would be a good idea to scout the field the morning or evening of the day before you shoot to see where they are flying to and from (without disturbing the birds).

As for decoys... I've had mixed results. I usually set up between 6-12 fixed decoys and a couple of mojo's. Some years I've been dive bombed by doves trying to land in my decoys and other times they flare on the mojo's. If I notice them flaring I usually turn them off or remove them from my setup altogether.

Since my old 870 has a 28" modified barrel, that's what I use. It works pretty well on the higher birds, but is a little tougher to hit the close ones. Plus, it's a little rough on them when I do hit them. I think an improve cylinder choke would be a better choice personally. The biggest thing is to stay absolutely still until they are within range, then ambush them.

One last thing; you might want to check the regs for Clybel WMA. I think it's only open to dove hunting on Saturdays. The first one is a quota and the next two after that are open to the general public during the first season.

I hope at least some of this helps. Maybe others will chime in with some different methods.

Good luck

Thanks for the input guys! I've saved up some money and will go buy decoys tomorrow. I plan to go the next Saturday, good thing too. Hopefully there's not too many people.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Don't shoot low birds. If you can't see sky above and below the bird when you shoot, it's probably too low. Wear shooting glasses. There will be other newbies shooting, too, and you most likely will have shot fall or hear it drop around you. A mojo on the factory stake will attract birds that will come in too low to safely shoot on a crowded field. If you use a mojo, get it up at least 10' high. Thin wall conduit is the cheapest way to do it. If you are too close to a tree line, birds coming from the tree line will pop out fast and be hard to shoot and it's better to be out in the field. Doves react to movement. Keep still until they are in range. When someone hollers "bird" or "mark", you will invariably look 180 degrees in the wrong direction. And that doesn't happen just to newbies. ;) Gil