Kawasaki Bayou 220 questions

ABBYS DAD

Greetings
I just purchased a 1994 Kawaski Bayou 220 and about to venture into tinkering around with it. First, I'm a novice, but can follow advice,suggestions really well. So anyone one of you good people no anything about these machines and would like to share some things that I need to look out for or have any pictures of your carb, motor, etc., I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

rjcruiser

I don't have any pics...or any experience with the Bayou...but...if it was mine, first thing I would do would be rebuild the carb and the pull rope assembly.

Get a carb rebuild kit and some carb dip...video yourself taking it apart if you're afraid you won't be able to remember where all of the screws/jets go. Do it on an old white towel so you don't lose pieces.

On the pull cord assy, try to keep the spring from coming out. Trying to get the spring back in there wound up is a nightmare. Can be done, but it is a headache...don't ask how I know...I've done it multiple times. :D

ABBYS DAD

I don't have any pics...or any experience with the Bayou...but...if it was mine, first thing I would do would be rebuild the carb and the pull rope assembly.

Get a carb rebuild kit and some carb dip...video yourself taking it apart if you're afraid you won't be able to remember where all of the screws/jets go. Do it on an old white towel so you don't lose pieces.

On the pull cord assy, try to keep the spring from coming out. Trying to get the spring back in there wound up is a nightmare. Can be done, but it is a headache...don't ask how I know...I've done it multiple times. :D

Thanks for the advice. I've been taking lots of photos so I can come back to confirm and placing the bolts into their each paper bag with where they came from on the outside.

GoldDot40

Had one way back in the early 90's. Great machines. Tough and reliable. I don't recall having any major issues...and it got used a lot and ridden hard.

ABBYS DAD

actually just got her to crank and fire up! my issues are the shifter shafts teeth are worn out and the foot shifter just spins around it and will not engage. so i guess i need to find a welder in the dallas area to fix that issue.

CC Rider

actually just got her to crank and fire up! my issues are the shifter shafts teeth are worn out and the foot shifter just spins around it and will not engage. so i guess i need to find a welder in the dallas area to fix that issue.

I tried welding the shifter on for a friend of mine. It worked for a couple of weeks. You'll end replacing the shaft.

ABBYS DAD

thanks for the advice fellas! i'm currently drilling hole in the shaft, what kind of pin should I use?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Make sure you got it where you want it before you drill it

1gr8bldr

I have drilled before, and they sometimes don't last. If I were to do this, I think I would "key it" leaving the bulk of the shaft intact. Or, grind out the back side of the shifter halfs so that it clamps harder

1gr8bldr

Careful welding. To much heat and the seal will leak