How many here like to bass fish with a fly rod ?

bcraig

I haven,t done it in years but used to really love it.
Little popping bug with a light fly rod and even the little 2 pounders are a blast to catch !

Craig

i cant even remember the last time i used a bait caster or spinning rod to bass fish. i use my 8wt to bass fish but i want to get 3wt

You sure do get a fight on a fly rod. Last time I caught one on a fly rod, I was using a small top water popping bug. I was in my canoe, he pulled me all over the pond . It was a blast.

WinMag.300

Im a lot like the most interesting man in the world, but fisher man.

I don't always fish, but when I do...I fly fish. :)

actually I always fish...

fishndoc

Up until about 3 years ago, I was pretty much a "trout purist". Started trying my luck for warmwater fish when I got my kayak, and now I almost never take the time to drive to the mountains to wade for trout. Even small bream are bigger than most of the trout I catch, and fight just as hard. And, when you catch a big bass, hold on!

I think the reason I enjoy fly fishing (for any species) more than spin fishing, is partly due to the bend in the rod, but even more that you actually feel the fish as you hold the line in your hand.
With spinning gear, there are a half dozen gears and knobs between you and the fish, but with a fly line, there is only a direct connection.

fishndoc sums it all up there ain't nothing like fighting and feeling a bass hit anything from popper to a clouser minnow.

Randy

I pretty much fly fish for bass only. Don't really care for those slimy fish. I also fly fish in the salt. Caught a nice red yesterday.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i love it ! i fish pretty much everything but i am finding that more and more often the only rods i care about are my 3, 6 and 8 weights. just last week in the same morning i got fish with an 8wt, a 3wt, a spinning rod, a fiberglass pole and a bow !!! i was seriously over geared that day :rofl::rofl::rofl: i love the fly the best though and REALLY get stoked when it is a fly i tied !!!

duckbill

I primarily target bluegills and such with my 4wt, but you always pick up a bass or three on a small popper. They are a hoot to catch. A 2 pounder willl give you all you want. Right now the water is really low and the bass are congregated in spots. I've been giving the 4wt a work-out on them lately.

kirby999

I too almost always target panfish with a 3 or 4 wt. , but sometimes the bluegill i hang becomes bait. Kirby
cgrbass.jpg

bcraig

Well that does it I am getting another fly rod and going aftter them again. its been so long I need to ask a few questions ,who makes an inexspensive rod and reel? I gotta get back into this !
thanks Craig

Wishin I was Fishin

I got my start in fly fishing chasing bass and bream. I got into trout pretty heavy last year but I always enjoy the fight a big bass or slab bream will put up!

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I primarily target bluegills and such with my 4wt, but you always pick up a bass or three on a small popper. They are a hoot to catch. A 2 pounder willl give you all you want. Right now the water is really low and the bass are congregated in spots. I've been giving the 4wt a work-out on them lately.

duckbill, how come you haven't been posting up any big bream stringers like usual???
I'm missing those pics.

B

breampole

I love my TFO's and they wern't real expensive. As I recall just over $100.00 at Bass Pro. Can match it with an inexpensive reel. I like the Pflueger Medalist for an inexpensive reel, expecially the older ones you can buy on Ebay and I also like the Orvis Clear Water reels. I think that is the name of their reel that costs $50-60. I have two of the Orvis reels--on the 2 TFO rods I have, one of which is a 9' 6 wt and the other a 6' 2 wt. I like them a lot. As I recall I got mine on sale for around $45.

bcraig

Thanks guys i will check into the ones mentioned.

Craig

2bscratch

Does anyone know of any small ponds you can fly fish from the banks in the Metro ATL (Forsyth, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Fulton)?

Wishin I was Fishin

There is room to fly fish a decent sized section of bank at Tribble Mill Park which is in Gwinnett. Small bass can be found as well as all the dink bream you care to reel in with any fly smaller than about a size 20.