How to get rid of a broken couch

j_seph

If it doesn't come directly off a tree or bush you cannot burn it. No trash, lumber, or anything except what comes natural.

Dad's neighbor's house caught on fire. It was a total loss. They brought in excavators and dumpsters to clean up the place. There were several boards left laying around. The old man that owned the place decided to pile them up and burn them. The county marshal wrote him a ticket for that. It wasn't more than 12 or 15 boards, and a small fire, but he had to pay a fine for it.
So why can one not burn dimensional lumber in GA? I mean it is wood, last I checked 1 x 4 2 x4 are nothing but the remains of a tree that was at one time growing until cut down and sawed up.

j_seph

If I take the scrap wood and throw up a crude shelter, put the couch inside can I have the FD come by and light it then practice putting it out? Seems they can burn lumber(houses) for training purposes with approval.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Call Ga Forestry for the official why not. They tell you it can only be “natural” stuff when you call the automated burn permit number.

Where I used to live I bought some new appliances and was attempting to burn the cardboard boxes. Within the minutes it takes a pile of boxes to burn the local volunteer FD boys came driving in and wanted to put out the almost burned out blaze. I put out the ashes with my water hose so they didn’t have to use truck tank water.

Good neighbors huh?

StriperrHunterr

So why can one not burn dimensional lumber in GA? I mean it is wood, last I checked 1 x 4 2 x4 are nothing but the remains of a tree that was at one time growing until cut down and sawed up.

I think they did that with all the pressure treated stuff on the market but that's a guess.

Will 1800got junk reach your area? I know they don't do mine, but they donate the donatables and recycle the recyclables. Seems all that couch material could be recycled.

goob

You can't because that is processed, not natural. And it's unlawful. I don't care who you call, Forestry will tell you the same thing. In Habersham you have to obtain a permit through the FD, which is good for a 6x6 hand-piled burn. Anything larger than 6'x6', machine-piled, or land clearing you get the permit through Forestry.

goob

Call Ga Forestry for the official why not. They tell you it can only be “natural” stuff when you call the automated burn permit number.

Where I used to live I bought some new appliances and was attempting to burn the cardboard boxes. Within the minutes it takes a pile of boxes to burn the local volunteer FD boys came driving in and wanted to put out the almost burned out blaze. I put out the ashes with my water hose so they didn’t have to use truck tank water.

Good neighbors huh?

You must live next door to a FD. If all you were burning was boxes, they'd been burnt out before any VFD could get there with a truck. I suppose they could have just been riding by though haha

goob

If I take the scrap wood and throw up a crude shelter, put the couch inside can I have the FD come by and light it then practice putting it out? Seems they can burn lumber(houses) for training purposes with approval.

Yes, they can burn acquired structures for training purposes, but it's not that simple anymore. There are a lot of rules that must be followed.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Don’t burn it, illegal and you can’t hide the flame and plume it would produce. Forestry and DNR frown on that. Saws-all or the curb are your best options.

They will write you a ticket

Gaducker

I burned a couple bags of garbage the other day and the wind whiped up and blew the trash into a 16 ft fiberglass trihull with a couch inside it I was trying to get rid of............. The boats gone now.... see how simple that was.

Greene728

You would not believe the political red tape we have to go throw now to do it. I mean there isn’t enough space here for me to even type it. Asbestos inspection, lead paint inspections, shingles/felt taken off, all plumbing and wiring removal, etc. just to name a few things.

Back in the day we used to burn them somewhat regularly with just basic rules and regulations. Not any more brother! The Guberment and the EPA came along......need I say more? We can’t even burn stuff like furniture, man made items, synthetics in our burn building for training burns. True story!

sinclair1

Now that it's in the campfire. I don't understand that it's too large for the truck bed? Saw that sucker in half, strap it on its side, on the roof, drag it behind the truck, I mean, your a country feller ::ke::bounce:

ClemsonRangers

you can take those apart, the backs have catch pins and will lift off, the bottom has about 8 bolts to take out

-billy