Boat Questions

95g atl

I'm late to the game............

I too have a CAROLINA SKIFF, model 198 DLX. Powered by a 115 hp yamaha. Extremely stable. Bad chop and high wind, you get wet and a little pounded if you go fast, so wise men just slow down in those conditions or pick a better day to go out. Hits 44 mph on flat.....
Plenty of room and 11 person capacity.

Folks takes these boats far offshore under calm conditions, not me personally.

Key west and boston are great boats but more $.

Let us know what you got.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
He ended up with a scout.....pretty sure it's a 172 with a 90.

Scallen2112

Good question. I'm probably leaning more towards vhull at this point.

My fishing partner is becoming more and more, my 3 year old son. I'd prefer the smoother ride that can handle the chop better with him on board I think.

The KW 1720 (or similar) looks like a great option. Would something like this be fine for runs to Cumberland? I'd love to open up my fishable area with my next boat.

Good call, especially if you are thinking about running to Cumberland. The St Simon Sound is not all that bad most days. On calmer days I can get out there in our little boat - a 16' Tracker Panfish. The St Andrew Sound is a whole different ballgame. It can get dangerous fast, especially when the tide is flowing. Also, you have to swing way out towards the mouth of the sound to get around sand bars before coming back into the Cumberland River, which puts you practically in the Atlantic. If you really want to be able to make that run safely with a three year old, go with a nice V and higher sideboards. Plan for the gas usage as well - doesn't look so bad on a map, but it's actually a ways down there.