Bermuda Grass needs help

3ringer

Our Bermuda grass has been getting thinner and thinner every year. We have lost about 40 percent of it. I have top coated with sand, aerated it, fertilized and everything else I can think of. Has anyone used a lawn service and has had good luck with it. I dont know what else to try .

hopper

Well when all methods of DIY fail a Pro consultation cant hurt. If you hire a service just make sure you tell them why they are being hired , stess the main objection (thicker grass) and get that part in writing. Some companies have a one and all aproach that may not fit your needs.

southernman13

We have some we layed at our place in Tn from a sod farm and it’s doing just ok. We have some around our farm in sw Ga that’s natural and u can’t kill it. I can spray and harrow it up and it just keeps on growling and spreading. I’d actually like to be able to scrape it up and take 3 or 4 pallets of it to Tn. And lay it down. The stuff in Tn grows decent but it doesn’t spread out like the stuff we have in Ga. good luck

95g atl

try overseeding in spring?

also, if it doesn't have full sun (and water) that can be an issue.

walkinboss01

Have you had the soil tested?

GoldDot40

Some bermuda is kinda picky about the type of fetilizer used on it. It also needs to be applied when the soil has ample hydration. Mine struggled earlier in the year....it was just laid a year ago when the house was finished.

I used a liquid weed and feed that had great reviews on bermuda grass. A few weeks later and it was very thick and green compared to the neighbor's. I'll continue doing it twice a year.

3ringer

We just cut down 5 trees and limbed up others. I hope this helps too.

DAWG1419

We own a fert company in social circle but don’t come jackson lake. Probably to much shade,not enough sunlight. You can call dorseys. He is down your way if you want them to do it or I can send you a program to follow for free.

Stonewall 2

Bermuda grass needs a minimum of 4 hrs of direct sunlight. I would think this is probably your problem. If you are getting that and still thinning I would get the soil tested and if you don’t put out some fast lime just before growing season next spring. Then when the grass starts to green put out a slow release nitrogen fertilizer. I have had good luck with these methods, but I still have an area in back yard that is thinning that just does not get enough sun. I also put out preemergent at least three time a year. Good luck!

Patriot44

Banned

This, My front gets very little sunlight and our trees in the front started making for 90 shade in the summer. I trimmed the trees up to about 10 ft to let in sunlight and it made a comeback this year.

Bermuda loves the sunshine.

treemanjohn

Banned
Bermuda needs a ton of sunlight 4 hours will never get it
Sand offers no nutrients to anything. Topdress with a quality compost of top soil
If you overseed you'll be stuck with common Bermuda. If your lot was originally laid sod you can KIND OF get away with it. If you're seeding spots you'll see the difference. Besides sod is cheap

Bigmonk96

try the Sahara Bermuda -- I filled in my inground pool this spring -- scattered the seeds ( really thick*) and fertlized with starter fertlizer ( 18-24-12 ), - then just mashed seeds & fertilizer into the soil with the dozier tracs -- plenty of water and it took off - good luck, Monk*Sahara Bermuda.jpeg

JohnK

The guy who aerates my yard uses a big tractor to pull a big heavy roller.....those little ones behind a yard tractor don't get deep enough.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Bermuda needs a ton of sunlight 4 hours will never get it
Sand offers no nutrients to anything. Topdress with a quality compost of top soil
If you overseed you'll be stuck with common Bermuda. If your lot was originally laid sod you can KIND OF get away with it. If you're seeding spots you'll see the difference. Besides sod is cheap

All of this.

If your muda gets a lot of shade, kill it with Roundup and spread some pinestraw on it. Or cut down the trees.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Could be brown patch or some other fungus. You can apply a fungicide and see if that helps.