how negotiable are boat prices?

hipster dufus

looking at a new boat. how negotiable are dealers on prices?tough decision coming and need all info i can get thanks

BeerThirty

My pal bought a new Tracker from BassPro a few years ago and they were not very flexible on negotiations relating to the price. I wasn't there to witness it so I don't truly know how well my friend's negotiating tactics were, but I do know that he first asked for a price discount, they said no because it was already on sale. Then he asked for upgrades to be added in, like an upgraded fishfinder, they said no. I believe the only thing they were willing to negotiate was the financing options, go figure, right? Oh, i think they threw in a "free" Tracker boats hat too.

My guess is you'll have more flexibility on the non big box stores...

KKrueger

I have never bought a new boat. I tend to agree with BeerThirty about the big box vs. smaller local retailer. Also, I'm doubting there is much markup in boats and outboards, I would think most or any profit in boat dealerships is at the parts and service department.

Mexican Squealer

You can absolutely steal a barely used boat. Not to mention the money saved on sales tax....and still have solid engine warranty.

walkinboss01

I'd go with the used boat route as well.

shdw633

I use to own a boat dealership and most local dealers will negotiate; however, your best way of negotiating is to find what you want and get on the phone and be willing to travel to the dealer with the best deal. I had people from Illinois and Texas calling me on bass boat prices, many were buying the boats at 3% over cost which is a great deal. Don't let the local dealer tell you he doesn't have to service the boat either because they are obligated to do the warranty work regardless of where you buy the boat, that being said, there is no time frame as to when he has to get to it. So, find the boat you want, negotiate throughout the country for the best deal, take that to your local dealer and try to beat him over the head with that price until you both reach an agreeable number. Yes they will deal.

Another way is to take 20% off the price and start from there. Boat lists for $70,000; make your first offer at $56,000 and work your way up from that, most dealers try to hold at least 10% unless it is end of year or a model that has been on the lot for a while. A great deal would be to get the boat around 3% to 5% of the price of the boat.

shdw633

You can absolutely steal a barely used boat. Not to mention the money saved on sales tax....and still have solid engine warranty.

This is how I would buy a boat today....let someone else eat all the depreciation of that new boat!! Get on the boat trader or other Internet sites and find a deal!!

Mike 65

I use to own a boat dealership and most local dealers will negotiate; however, your best way of negotiating is to find what you want and get on the phone and be willing to travel to the dealer with the best deal. I had people from Illinois and Texas calling me on bass boat prices, many were buying the boats at 3% over cost which is a great deal. Don't let the local dealer tell you he doesn't have to service the boat either because they are obligated to do the warranty work regardless of where you buy the boat, that being said, there is no time frame as to when he has to get to it. So, find the boat you want, negotiate throughout the country for the best deal, take that to your local dealer and try to beat him over the head with that price until you both reach an agreeable number. Yes they will deal.

Another way is to take 20% off the price and start from there. Boat lists for $70,000; make your first offer at $56,000 and work your way up from that, most dealers try to hold at least 10% unless it is end of year or a model that has been on the lot for a while. A great deal would be to get the boat around 3% to 5% of the price of the boat.

This.
What type of boat are you looking at?

tree cutter 08

I bought my boat used at nearly a 1/3 of new price with 50 hours. Deals are out there if you look. I looked for 5 months before I found it.