Deer density/ hard hunting mountain/ easy flats?

Timberman

Relocating loggers is the best idea I’ve heard.

Until something is done to increase carrying capacity, ie manipulating habitat mainly thru logging, restocking is a moot point. The extra deer will either die or move to more favorable habitat.

swamp hunter

I don't hunt there and never will But..Your Carrying Capacity is what counts.
You put too many fish in the Pond and some are going to starve.
Ever seen a 4 inch Bluegill..Fully grown..

transfixer

Clarks Hill wma was/ and probably still is a prime example of that, I haven't hunted there in almost 20yrs, but back then there were 2.5 and 3.5 yr old bucks being harvested, that field dressed maybe 60/70lbs, smallest bodied deer I had seen in Georgia at that time. Does were being brought to the checkin station that field dressed 35/40lbs. I would imagine it isn't much better today.

Killer Kyle

X2. This is the point. If you don't change the habitat, deer stocking is only pouring deer into the already limited resources. With the explosion in bear and yote populations, the deer need a place to hide those babies and I feel like laurel thickets don't cut it. Bears stay in the laurel too. The increased food and fawning habitat are probably the most critical elements that need improvement. I don't know why this is, but I also see deer in some places more than others. I used to hunt a couple of places on Blue Ridge WMA, and I saw deer nearly every hunt. I guess the habitat must be better, but to my naked eye I could make no distinction in habitat between there and other places in the NF. I haven't hunted there in years, and think I'll take a trip there soon to look around and see if I can note any observable differences now.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think relocation would only work with closing of the season for a few years after the relocation and if it were closed, then the population should increase naturally.

If it is not closed, then I do not see it being any different than a put and take trout stream.

Stock the deer, they get shot. Next year stock some more deer and they get shot.

Habitat improvement would be the quickest way to a larger herd. Cut the timber, burn the land and watch nature repopulate the area within a few years

Mostly what he said. ^

There is no need to relocate deer to these areas. They already have a deer population, albeit smaller than the rest of the state. The biggest cause of that is the habitat. Improve the habitat and the deer will flourish too.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Well whatever it takes I’m in.
I got more stihl chainsaws than I can currently support because not many wait not any people WANT to pay for the labor or my knowledge of cutting trees.
Billy or jose will undercut it for pennies to get a meal with a homeowners saw.
Thats what I do is cut and climb trees professionally but pretty much starved in this winter habitat myself. My brother had a stroke and we now have zero help or family around us.
Never met a rich tree climber and times are really tough.
Maybe I need to relocate myself but can’t.
What seed can I just simply toss out and create some better habitat for A deer. I don’t own the land or trees here so I can’t cut them and log them out. I’m about done hunting this year just can’t affordably go much less waste the time when I could be out knocking on doors looking for treework.
I do ok unless its winter. Embarrassing but honest.
I’ll help log on this project in a heartbeat! If I get paid even better. North of Atlanta is where I hunt not the mountains. The acorns go uneaten and rot.